Sign in to follow this  
jan

Prism

Hello people

Has anyone tried this new plugin? I heard it's available for gmail, microsoft and allmost every product available today.

Your (quite) anonymous thoughts on this?

I have the feeling no one really cares anymore.

As I have no interest in the new macpro... I'll bite.

I'm pretty unnerved by the whole thing, but beyond a general sense of unease skipping toward despair I feel completely powerless. The good thing is my government will not be in power come the next elections so with any luck this will be a good bargaining chip.. But the cats out of the bag now, isn't it?

I have a hard time believing that any government will want to give up this level of control now they've tasted it. Perhaps the only alternative is to emigrate to Iceland....

I am definitely not surprised, but I think unnerved is a pretty good adjective. The powers that be love the word "terrorism" because it gives them carte blanche to pretty much do whatever they feel like in the name of national security. I agree with Dan, that government won't give up this power easily, if at all, and I don't see any changes coming of this directly, but I hope Prism being brought to light is one step closer to effecting actual, meaningful change.

I think that in a way this story is or could be so big that everyone seems petrified by it.

I find strange that americans that are eager to defend their right to own military weapons in their home don't give a fuck when it comes to their privacy.

But how could it be different? where could they turn to? every elected official support this because it's a root of the american power over the world.

Where we europeans could turn to? the germans had some balls with the possibility to opt-out your house from google's street view but that's so little.

The worm is in the fruit and there won't be any going back. The rest is Public Relation.

Just remember google's motto "don't be evil".

I'm interested to see how it breaks down. The big tech companies denying any knowledge or collusion. But... but clearly something is going on which is very close to a 'back door' for the NSA. There is clearly a lot of substance to the story and the leaked document else the Americans could just deny it completely. As much as anything I'm interested in the mechanism they used and how much collaboration/arm twisting was going on between the government and the companies.

I think it's a massive story which will sink in slowly. And how much all those lovely tech companies were involved will be interesting to see.

I don't think anyone is that surprised but still... I remember hearing M.I.A. tweeting about how the CIA were in league with Facebook and sniggering at her, thinking she was a swivel eyed loon.

"1984 was not supposed to be an instruction manual" springs to mind.

Edit: Also, 'Don't be evil', that's just shooting yourself in the foot! There's no way Google aren't going to become a super evil, space-laser-toting threat to world peace with that slogan. Again it's just too Orwellian; the Ministry of Truth etc.

Edited by simonfarussell