Sign in to follow this  
eliss

new Mac Pro Pill

Yeah not sure about that one. Current i7s are 64 bit processors and software finally caught up to that. Wondering what that means really if the software is only 64bit. I'm sure someone can answer that though.

It reminds me of the G4 Cube with the vertical, central heatsink. SDI out is something I think we can safely assume Blackmagic, Matrox or others will eventually make Thunderbolt breakout boxes for. The big question is whether there will be Nvidia BTO option on release. With the new OS finally getting OpenGL 4 I am guessing no CUDA. Shame if so, but maybe Apple will keep up the AMD / Nvidia tick-tock and do it next year. Apart from the shape of this thing (I thought it would look like a taller Mac Mini), it doesnt surprise me that much - typical Apple simplifying everything and relying on adoption of connectivity standards (TB) still in their infancy. Personally the only way I expanded my Mac Pro was upgrading the GPU and adding HDMI out with an Intensity Pro card, I'll probably buy one of these in a years time.

Yeah not sure about that one. Current i7s are 64 bit processors and software finally caught up to that. Wondering what that means really if the software is only 64bit. I'm sure someone can answer that though.

It will still be a 64-bit processor, the 256-bit refers to some other feature of the processor, don't really understand it, but I presume that means it will be faster. More details if you can decipher it: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/xeon-e5-brief.pdf

I said some of this on another thread here, but the TB2 interface seems to be the wildcard. It's a fast enough interface to provide some interesting expansion options (theoretically) beyond storage and video display. I also wouldn't count out other graphics options as Mac Pros have always had BTO graphics options (albeit not the best ones.) I'm thinking there's a bit more to this beast than they've released, but we'll have to wait and see.

Judging from the shrieks and wails I'm seeing on other sites regarding the design, I'd say they got it about right. This looks better than anything currently on my desk, and I'll be happy to get that space back under the desk where my left foot is supposed to go.