Sign in to follow this  
AromaKat

The Price is Right: Mac Pro - Steve Jobs Figure Prize

well that's not too bad.

ati kinda sucks, since there is no cuda, so no gpu rendering or acceleration in adobe products... but otherwise its pretty reasonable for what you get i guess.

and also keep in mind that c4d doesnt play well with ATI either...

and quad core for a pro seems kinda weak...

Edited by vozzz

Egaash.

Yeah, factoring in that there's no real internal storage, you can't really modify the internals, it's stacked with less-than-ideal video cards, and it's only quad-core...it's pretty clear that this is targeted at people with money to burn and want fancy things in their office. I bet 99% of the people who buy this would have been perfectly happy with an iMac instead.

Pretty weak, indeed, if not an understatement. I guess we will have to wait until we can customize / build our own to see what the true cost and limitations are. Still no word on specific components either.

Again you lot haven't paid attention or don't understand it: This machine combined with Mavericks has been made for OpenCL and Adobe products will also support OpenCL. Also, OpenGL has vastly improved. Preliminary reports have already almost doubled OpenGL performance on existing mac under Mavericks, imagine what happens if all hard- & software is up to date.

If you think you can build this for less money then you'd be wrong. The memory subsystem + Mavericks + the Dual GPU is what gives this machine it's power. You can't build this as of yet. Why render using CPU's why the actual OS is focused on OpenCL?

Be patient, you'll see. This new direction is a very smart strategy with actual performance gains in application responsiveness.

how much is the 12 core, that`s what I wanna know

12 core xeon e5 processor retails for $2,700. The 6 core retails for 1k. So... I would guess price of 6 core + $1,700 .

My question is whether they are backpeddling on the initial release.. When they said 12 core did they mean a hyperthreaded 6 core?