Sign in to follow this  
AromaKat

The Price is Right: Mac Pro - Steve Jobs Figure Prize

Aromakat is right when he says a high clocked i7 offers amazing bang for buck compared to Xeon's. That's why Apple chose a single high speed Xeon instead of 2 low speed Xeon's. The ROI on 2 CPU systems is less than people thing, it won't scale 100% but the price for such a system is astonomical compared to a single CPU system.

This new mac will perform leaps & bounds better because of a few things:

1) high clock speed (improves viewport & scene speed, improves project handling speed (in AE)

2) Mavericks. Even old macs have sometimes double the performance in OpenGL.

3) proper (dual) GPU. self explanatory really. (Apple is putting its weight behind OpenCL, could be very interesting.

4) faster memory combined with memory compression combined with #5

5) ridiculously fast flash storage. If or when swapping and caching, speed from memory to disk will again improve application performance

The only real setback compared to older macs is performance in multi-threaded fields such as rendering and even then, the high clockspeed & new architecture will run better than current dual CPU Mac's.

And really, rendering should be done on external nodes. The price difference between a (insert brandname) dual Xeon system and this leaves enough money to buy several rendernodes which will when combined, blow anything out of the water.

Only DIY systems offer more bang for buck but most people don't know how to do that or want to do that. If you must run OSX a Hackintosh is an option but really, be realistic: the people doing that are rare compared to the general pro-demographic.

We're designers not sysadmins.

Side note: people are talking about it not having 128gb of ram. As if they could afford it. That's €1200 for the ram alone, minimum. They don't know what the f they're talking about.

If you can afford €6000+ for only the RAM, MoBo + dual Xeon's then the new Mac Pro is no problem for you at all or you're stupid/in the wrong business.

Dual 3.5 Ghz Xeon's with 128gb RAM + dual GPU is very, very extremely niche. And also €10.000. And nobody in his right mind spends 10k on a DIY system.

Side note: people are talking about it not having 128gb of ram. As if they could afford it. That's €1200 for the ram alone, minimum. They don't know what the f they're talking about.

There has also been a trend of Apple "supporting" only half the maximum RAM you can actually put into the Mac Pro, so it wouldn't surprise me if the truly RAM hungry could stuff 4 32GB modules into this machine of they wanted.

Haha. Yeah. While we're at it we should start charging less money too...

I agree with the sarcasm here. Promoting BYOD as doesn't seem like a wise move, from neither a freelancer's nor an employer's standpoint.

Edited by AromaKat

I dont know why BYOD would be a concern with NDA's or security even. For me and my company it is the most logical step to keep up with the pace of work and demand for rendering. We ditched Mac last december and built workstations modeled after BOXX. Really not much downtime (or any for the studio really) and when we needed more render power, just built 4 more cows. Its actually pretty simple to do and way cost effective. Anyone who can work in mograph is more than smart enough to read a manual for where plugs go.

Im not sure how BYOD is connected to building macs (im assuming this means Bring Your Own Device, or something along those lines)

But as security, you just dont know what kind of crap a freelancer is gonna bring on his computer, which could jeoperdize your whole operation... I personally would prefer to bring my own laptop, since i got all my useful stuff on it, don't have to spend time setting stuff up, but i haven't been at a single studio that's cool with that yet.

I guess some people only need to talk to do anything. No skills, no resources no ideas.

?????

on the topic of custom rigs: drool... http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/xdna-aurum

I wouldn't call that a custom rig. Its just maxing everything out for the sake of maxing things out. They are putting tagging a heafty markup on those parts too.

Back in college when I would build my own rigs that was my biggest problem, I could never find a case that didn't look like and alien suppository. Why is building a classy, simple case so hard?

I don't have a problem with Bring Your Own Desktop. As to sarcastic comments regarding charging less - no, you charge more for it, and in time you don't need an expensive laptop anymore.

I don't have a problem with Bring Your Own Desktop. As to sarcastic comments regarding charging less - no, you charge more for it, and in time you don't need an expensive laptop anymore.

The benefits of working within your own machine / environment does lead to increased productivity at the start of a project, but BYOD (the d traditionally stands for device) opens up the door for hardware discrimination, plus the amount of time being able to ask for a kit rental fee will be short lived, as the number of people out there consider bringing a kit, inclusive of rate, increases to the point it becomes the norm. We can tell ourselves over and over that its all about talent, skills, etc but at the end of the day, it always boils down to a business' bottom line and hardware will become a consideration along with reel, etc. To be clear - consideration. A factor among many in the decision making process.

This self-induced exploitation is inevitable though. It will happen in certain sectors. Hardware & software costs will fall on the shoulders of the freelancer, and whoever has the latest and greatest will shine a bit brighter on paper when deciding between two candidates - so a freelancer's yearly expenses increase unequal to rate increases. I suspect the people hiring that expect a kit will be the least likely to appreciate skill. Say GPU processing really starts being utilized across the board. If person A has a first gen new mac pro, and person B has a summer 2014 model with 1.5x the GPU processing power, any employer with eyes on the bottom line would surely take increased render times into consideration, and not really be capable of understanding the impact efficiency of the experienced can have. Even with shops, the same ones that only upgrade their machines once every 3-5 years will suddenly be the ones who expect the freelancer to bring the latest and greatest because their mind (and yearly review) is focused on ROI.

Most shops that work with sensitive material wouldn't allow a foreign device on the network unless fully vetted by IT. That means either reduced efficiency due to network privileges, using a managed guest login account located on their own servers (which would be pure exploitation, as they are solely offsetting infrastructure cost to the freelancer), or just working in the corner completely cut off from the rest of the team making the whole on-site thing pointless. Even for a small shop with no IT department, allowing an outsider access to the network is a huge gamble.

But lets get real about charging for it. It won't happen. Its a fight against the same people who got most of us to work 10-14 hour shifts under the same rate.

Just my thoughts. Again, not fighting it... Just venting. I just think it is just a bad business practice that makes it harder for everyone to stay competitive and take home more money.

Edited by AromaKat