Sign in to follow this  
bmathews415

Spline Dynamics and Mograph

Hi Guys,

This is my first post on here so I hope its in the appropriate place.

I've been trying to replicate the effect found on the breakdown of a piece posted on Greyscalegorilla, here's a link:

Basically I want to replicate the third shot in the breakdown where a bunch of cubes fly out, it looks like under the influence of a plain effector, while splines remain attached to the cubes at one end while anchored to world zero at the other. The splines all have spline dynamics and move and wiggle convincingly based on the movement of their respective cube, gravity, etc.

The only way I've been able to make this work is by manually animating each element, and this video leads me to believe there is a way to automate this process through mograph, just haven't been able to make it work.

Any advice on how to achieve an effect like this as mograph-automated as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Unlikely. At best I could imagine some obscure Tracer/ MoSpline construct, but it's more likely that they used XPResso to transpose the MoGraph clone positions to normal Nulls and then used the spline dynamics normally by pinning it to those Nulls. The visible transform widgets are a giveaway...

Mylenium

Unlikely. At best I could imagine some obscure Tracer/ MoSpline construct, but it's more likely that they used XPResso to transpose the MoGraph clone positions to normal Nulls and then used the spline dynamics normally by pinning it to those Nulls. The visible transform widgets are a giveaway...

Mylenium

That's what I was thinking, thanks for your response!

Yader shows how to do this dynamically with Hair in his Digital Tutors series. Highly recommended.

...or you could wait a few days until I have my free stuff all sorted out and release it....

Mylenium

Looking forward to see your solution, Mylenium.
Haven't seen Yader's yet (shame on me for being so cheap).

This is what I would do, using Hair as well :

Grow as many Guides as there are Clones.
Then loop through the Positions of your Clones and feed these Values into the last Segment of each Guide.
Done. ;)

This image from the Help should help figure out Guide and Segment numbers :

005391.jpg

d