Sign in to follow this  
sbmotiondesign

Rise of planet of the apes closing credits flight path effect

I'm trying to create a similar effect to the closing credits in the video below without a lot of manual labor involved. I have clones positioned where I want on the surface of the sphere and want to generate multiple arc splines from one point and have them connect to other clones I've positioned on the surface of the sphere.

I'm thinking about a setup where I can use the point index of the clones along with a sweep nurbs and a primitive arc spline or tracer object to generate the splines for me. The problem with the tracer is that it wants to draw a straight line, not a smooth arc between the two clones.

Any ideas on a simple setup to acheive this? It's really just using the point index of clones to define the start and end points of an arc spline but my lack of xpresso knowledge is slowing me down.

Thanks!

Yeah that's a pretty cool script but the real issue I'm having is getting the arc shaped spline between two points. I'm able to generate a spline between two points on the surface but only in a straight line. Thanks!

Try the Spherify deformer on your Tracer object. Probably going to have to do a bunch of them for your hero paths, but several of the "non-hero" could use the same Spherify deformer.

I just tried it and it works OK. You may want to make your Tracer object and Deformer editable and the animate a Sweep Nurbs growth to get the speed to your needs.

HTH.