Sign in to follow this  
Agris

Animating a ribbon banner in C4D

Hi,

i already found a thread where my question was answered, but the example file was removed, so i have to ask it again.

I want to animate this kind of ribbon http://i.imgur.com/U5eYl.jpg . I want to start with a straight and then bend sides and middle. Spent all day trying to deform in many ways, but still not satisfied.

thanx in advance!

You could move it in along a spline, or you could convert it to cloth and drop it from above,

not sure how good cloth is in cinema4D but Im sure people could point you in right direction.

tried to do it with sweep nurbs and animate the curve. But I gave up this idea because a few things fucked up. I did get bad results without checking "Paralell Movement" for sweep nurbs. But after checking it, UVW mapping started to act wierd, by flipping around half of texture. I managed to get almost satisfying result withou paralell movement, by adjusting curves. But then shit came when i tried to make those triangular shape endings by using transparency in material. It was looking ok in viewport, but after rendering there was no transparency.

So now i will try to do it with bones.

We just finished a spot with animated ribbon. We just used spline wrap to position/animate the ribbon which was a plane, dead simple. We then used a formula deformer with a bit of a sin wave and some animated displacement in the texture to give it a bit of a flowy cloth feel.

We decided not to use cloth since we needed to control timing very precisely to fit with VO and for render times we did not want to have to mess with dynamics.

From the example you showed spline wrap should do the trick for you.

Yelp it's pretty simple as anothername stated, just a plane old spline wrap would do the trick. Cloth is just a bad idea from the start cause you'll have too much of a bad time trying to get it controlled correctly unless if you do a couple of work arounds.

I quickly put together this scene with the spline wrap technique, there is a surface deformer in the "Cloth" object which is referencing the not visible "Cloth Ref" object which essentially makes the visible "Cloth" object copy all the movement the of the "Cloth Ref" object. Since the "Cloth Ref" object has a dynamics tag on it with the top vertexes pinned you can get it to emulate some windy movements to pass onto the "Cloth" object without having to deal with it getting all messy with the spline wrap movement. Probably didn't explain that the best but just check out the file and see what's going on in there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5j5iimk0oedj9bt/Ribbon%20Banner%2001.c4d

And by the way I just said that using Cloth was a bad idea but since you have a lot of control doing it in the scene file I provided you can make it work without a lot of headache. And that's my way of controlling it correctly.