Sign in to follow this  
steelparadox

Trouble Using Fix Texture On A Cloner Object

Hi Folks,

Here's the setup: I'm making a paper looking globe by putting a slice of sphere in a radial cloner object, and then fanning it out so that it creates a globe. This all works beautifully until I try to combine the fix texture option with animating the start and end angle of the radial cloner object. What I'm trying to do is attach a map texture to the cloner object, so that when it's fanned out completely, the individual segments of the cloner have the image of the map spread across them. I'm using spherical mapping, and that works well, and looks how I want it to (img. 1). The problem comes when my globe fans from shut position to full globe position. Once it animates in C4d, it maps the globe texture to each individual segment, not as a globe overall (img. 2). For some reason, the texture does stick and work properly if the globe is animating from full globe to shut position. The problem with that is I need it to go from shut to open. I'm banging my head against the wall here. Any suggestions?

img1.jpgimg2.jpg

C4D R11.5

Project File:

http://www.mtinley.com/previews/tinley/Paper_Sphere.c4d

Not ideal, but reverse your keyframes then reverse the render. If you go to the last key, turn the cloner off and on to activate the texture, then drag backwards, it works fine. You just have to avoid that first key or it will revert the tex. So to render, you can reverse the keys. Something about the cloner initializing the object or something, not sure why it does that.

Too lazy to download your file, but you may need to convert your slices to editable objects, delete the UV tag and then use the "Create UVs" command based on your selected texture tag with spherical/ cylindrical mapping.

Mylenium

Here is what I did :

1/ offset your animation One frame

2 Copy and paste your last keyframe to frame 0 (just for initializing the texture)

3/ on frame zero fur off your fix texture and turn it back to straight.

all done.

(Note that you have to render this extra frame. )

here is your modified file (R14 sorry)

http://cl.ly/QKKZ

Edited by wysee

Bingo, wysee! That did the trick. Much thanks. I had tried Mylenium's suggestion earlier, but the start/end angle animation wasn't kept once I turned the slices into editable objects. Thanks for the input, everyone.