Sign in to follow this  
Spunj

Is there an AE script that will import illustrator sublayers.....

After Effects only imports top level layers. Anyone know of a script for AE that allows you to import ai files and make the layers that contain sublayers into precomps? I can't seem to find what I am looking for. I figured there must be a script out there that will do this.

I often get files with a ton of layers with sublayers, and have to separate them in Illustrator, then re-precomp them in AE. 2 very tedious steps.

-Spunj

On the layers palette in Illustrator, if you have a layer selected have you tried clicking the pop out option in the top right and choosing either

"Release to Layers (Sequence)" or "Release to Layers (Build)" ?

One of these will put each sublayer object on it's own layer I believe. That could help unless you have multiple objects on the same sublayers I guess.

i just heard about the "convert vector to ae shapes" command. perhaps that would work?

just import your flattened illustrator art into a timeline, and then right click the layer to see "convert vector to shapes".

Release to layers doesn't really help because most are already layers. They are just sublayers of the main layers (so I can drag them out above the main layer, and they become top-most layers). The problem is that there is let's say 40 layers, each with a set of 50 sublayers, and each of those sublayers sometimes has 5-10 sublayers. So I have to go through all the layers and move them to be top most layers...then in AE precomp all those layers to be back as sublayers...then the problem arises that now my precomps are actually the size of the main comp, rather than the size of the largest layer - however I've solved this issue with a script I bought from aescripts.com called PT Crop Precomps.

The big issue here is I am spending hours...sometimes a whole day or more breaking apart all the layers and sublayers, only to have to re-precomp them back in illustrator. It would be nice if AE would precomp the layers with sublayers automatically...kind of like it does with Photoshop groups.

-Spunj

Hey there, I was looking for something on AEscripts, and I found this:

http://aescripts.com/explode-shape-layer/

It'll split every illustrator file into seperate layers properly compared to the build in "convert vector to ae shapes" apparently. Maybe it will help? I haven't used it personally.

I didn't look, but I reckon there may be a script on there that auto precomp everything for you into a comp the size you want somewhere.

If not, you could always email the explode shape layer developer and ask if he'd add it into the next version.

Edit: Did a quick search for precomp and found this. http://aescripts.com/pre-compose-geek/

Auto names and trims precomps, might be helpful too.

Edited by rjb