Sign in to follow this  
Srek

CINEMA 4D R15 announced - Kerning, Team Rendering ......

You can of course do all of that with a bit of command line magic or tools like BulkRenamer as well for totally free... ;-)

Mylenium

Figuring out the command line stuff etc. is going to cost more than 20$ worth of my time. Also the more workarounds etc. needed the more difficult it is for freelancers to come in and hop into our workflow.

On a studio level that's why I think it's important to have as much of this stuff built into the software as possible. It becomes a huge headache to manage when everyone has their own custom scripts, little utilities etc.

At least with this we can install it on every station it's built right into the app and get people who are more on the artist side and have trouble with command line stuff to use it.

My point is just that even though there are a bunch of ways to skin this cat, having it built into the core software is still extremely useful from my perspective.

Well, if you work in a studio, that's what your TD does/ should do and in many cases you would work in a regulated/ restricted file/ folder/ render output hierarchy where you can't influence it or use render managers that can take care of such stuff.... Again, not saying that it's not useful, just saying that there are other alternatives... ;-)

Mylenium

Right chaps, I am going to make a new thread with this but here is my article on C4D scene speed. Someone requested we make a 'viewport tips' sticky, this should cover a lot of bases that I'm more than willing to add to and make a more comprehensive article:

http://www.mattfrodsham.com/c4d-scene-speed

Spoilers: It includes info on how to access the Layer Manager with a custom built Xpresso node (by my new favourite guy Niklas Rosenstein).

So animating layers, a mute button, and a whole lot else is now a reality. Ecstatic is not the word.

Have at it!

Matt

Well, C. Smith once called me a negative nanny and I'm usually much more critical and cynical with those things....

It was "Negative Nancy" :) And I contend it was meant with a lighthearted wink ;) I can certainly be one myself on many(most?) occasions.