Sign in to follow this  
xiaoali

Feedback on my First Professional Reel

Hey guys,

Would love some feedback on my first professional reel. I haven't cut one since I graduated all the way back in '07.

I've gotten a lot of good feedback from friends. Some of you guys set standards in the industry. So I'd love to know if there is anything I can maybe try or do better for next time too.

Thanks!

A few screens from it:

e3383470f3f585173acaea9836dd8810.jpg

cdd9f1840445ae5720ab8d5dde69dc3b.jpg

3605c0badead50222ef7771842fcf41e.jpg

75bddfb84d187e8ebfca7d47ec0d2d43.jpg

There's a lot of good stuff here, though (as I say with pretty much every demo reel I see) I'd cut it down. It feels like there's a lot of padding.

Cutting a reel is the process of cherry picking your absolute best and favourite work, and continuing to cherry pick until you feel like you aren't putting in your best stuff anymore. Most people strain to keep this up for 50 or 60 seconds. If you find yourself running longer than that, then you're in a great position--you can start cutting out awesome work so that it's only the amazing work left behind. If you dropped 20 (or 30!) of your least favourite stuff from the reel, it'd only get stronger. The stand-out padding moments for me were the B&W shot at 0:43 and the encyclopedias at 0:52.

So, that would be my biggest suggestion. Don't be afraid of cutting--the longer your reel runs, the worse work you have to show.

Thanks Aaron!

I am definitely going to cut those shots you mentioned and probably a few others. I had heard that song and immediately knew I wanted to use it for my reel. It was as short as I could cut it (to my abilities anyways) before I started to fill things in. Now I'm not sure that was the best approach to it.

You make a very good point and will definitely keep that in mind going forward.

Thanks again!