Sign in to follow this  
xiaoali

Feedback on my First Professional Reel

Hey guys,

Would love some feedback on my first professional reel. I haven't cut one since I graduated all the way back in '07.

I've gotten a lot of good feedback from friends. Some of you guys set standards in the industry. So I'd love to know if there is anything I can maybe try or do better for next time too.

Thanks!

A few screens from it:

e3383470f3f585173acaea9836dd8810.jpg

cdd9f1840445ae5720ab8d5dde69dc3b.jpg

3605c0badead50222ef7771842fcf41e.jpg

75bddfb84d187e8ebfca7d47ec0d2d43.jpg

Cutting a reel with 5 years of new stuff has to feel good. That said, there are some things you can certainly work on.

Firstly, I think a lot of the standard advice applies here, namely that if you cut 1/3 or 1/2 of what you have, you'll end up with a tighter more appealing presentation. You have some good stuff, and some stuff that's... not as good. You don't want to show every project, you just want to show the best projects. And of those projects, you just show the best parts. Cut each shot as tightly as possible. Trim absolutely as much fat as you can. Use each shot only as much as it needs to be used to propel the edit forward. Keep the thing moving. If you're making a montage that only lasts 45 seconds, 10 frames of boring stuff is 10 frames too many.

Also, your editing feels confused, unintentional... kind of random. It also feels shoddy and unrefined. I suspect that you don't do much cutting, which is kind of common for animators and certain subsets of the motion gfx population. That's fine, but you still have to be the one to edit this, so you'll have to figure out how to make it work. At the very least, the cuts should be motivated by the music, which you've done in some instances, but you've missed the cut by a few frames here and there. We could talk about editing strategies on a conceptual level, but I think being more precise with where your cuts happen in relation to the audio will be the biggest boost for you at this point.

Wow, thanks Binky!

Yeah, I usually work with a editor on projects so I don't ever edit. This reel was my attempt to use Premiere. I've gotten a few comments about taking some shots out, but you're the first to mention the editing. I "tapped" out the beats for this song and used that as my starting point.

I had originally thought I was on beat, even when I reviewed it (many many times) before. Now that I rewatch it, I can see maybe where I was a few frames off. As far as overall what I was thinking, a friend told me it was a good idea to group shots by project together. With the exception of the dragon, that's what I attempted to do. Originally I had grouped things together more by movement. I guess cutting some of the shots out would probably solve that problem a little.

I'm going to open it back up as soon as I get a chance and look at the edits. Then next time around focus on keeping just the best stuff.

Thanks again,

Unrelated: I don't know why there are 2 posts? I only hit submit once.. I notice that mine's not the only one too. Is it a known bug?