Sign in to follow this  
songalongadingdong

Eddie Song 2013 reel feedback

I think you've got a good start here. It's great that you've picked a charismatic track for your montage, and that it wraps up nicely at 1:00, but as you're probably suspecting, a full minute might be a bit of a stretch for what you've chosen to showcase here. The first cut, following your leisurely intro, stretches on for 10 seconds, and while your animation of the cameras transforming is well done, it's kind of boring to watch outside of the context of the original piece. For a montage to succeed as an informative and entertaining experience, a bunch of things have to happen, one of which is that each piece of footage has to be conveying interesting things as fast as the viewer can absorb them. If a cut is lingering past the point of being able to present anything new, then it's lingering too long. So, in this first cut, not only are we watching basically the same trick being pulled several times, but it's kind of a trick that most people in the industry have seen a bunch at this point (different audiences may be more or less surprised by this kind of animation, but no one is surprised the third time it happens). This uninformative repetition is also padded by inactive moments in-between, so that's making it seem to drag even more.

So, for your montage, you want to cut out as much redundancy and inactivity as possible, and try to optimize your cuts so that they relate to the music without overstaying their welcome.

As for the work contained within the montage, you seem to have a sensibility that you're consistent with, but which doesn't lend itself so well to a reel. Your animations are typically either action-pause-action-pause-action, where you tell us one thing, then wait to tell us another, as if we need time to catch up or to get the joke, OR they're these kind of static loops that don't seem to evolve. In the context of their source projects, these animations may make sense, but for your reel you're gonna have to figure out a way to use them so that you're constantly communicating new things.

There was somethin else i was going to say to round this out, but i keep getting interrupted and I forgot it. But I hope something in here helps!

I think you've got a good start here. It's great that you've picked a charismatic track for your montage, and that it wraps up nicely at 1:00, but as you're probably suspecting, a full minute might be a bit of a stretch for what you've chosen to showcase here. The first cut, following your leisurely intro, stretches on for 10 seconds, and while your animation of the cameras transforming is well done, it's kind of boring to watch outside of the context of the original piece. For a montage to succeed as an informative and entertaining experience, a bunch of things have to happen, one of which is that each piece of footage has to be conveying interesting things as fast as the viewer can absorb them. If a cut is lingering past the point of being able to present anything new, then it's lingering too long. So, in this first cut, not only are we watching basically the same trick being pulled several times, but it's kind of a trick that most people in the industry have seen a bunch at this point (different audiences may be more or less surprised by this kind of animation, but no one is surprised the third time it happens). This uninformative repetition is also padded by inactive moments in-between, so that's making it seem to drag even more.

So, for your montage, you want to cut out as much redundancy and inactivity as possible, and try to optimize your cuts so that they relate to the music without overstaying their welcome.

As for the work contained within the montage, you seem to have a sensibility that you're consistent with, but which doesn't lend itself so well to a reel. Your animations are typically either action-pause-action-pause-action, where you tell us one thing, then wait to tell us another, as if we need time to catch up or to get the joke, OR they're these kind of static loops that don't seem to evolve. In the context of their source projects, these animations may make sense, but for your reel you're gonna have to figure out a way to use them so that you're constantly communicating new things.

There was somethin else i was going to say to round this out, but i keep getting interrupted and I forgot it. But I hope something in here helps!

Hey Binky,

Thanks for the feedback.

I think you're putting into words what I'm feeling in my gut.

I'll try playing with a version that is 25-50% shorter and see if I can get more into less and reduce lulls + drags.

Spot on about the loops as well: they were made to be loops and that is the context for them (hence them feeling kinda small in a reel that would probably fare better feeling big). Not sure how to work around this other than to possibly put a bunch of different loop animations on one comp, and just let them play out long enough to show variety rather than have everyone stare at each one and know exactly what's happening.

Really appreciate the solid feedback. I feel like I can put the observations to work.

I usually say something like this: when you're making a montage, make it more like a short film than a slideshow. Focus more on making it an experience for the viewer than just cataloguing your work experience. If you can figure out how to think along those lines, you can probably craft a more interesting viewing experience, thereby making your reel a more memorable one.

I usually say something like this: when you're making a montage, make it more like a short film than a slideshow. Focus more on making it an experience for the viewer than just cataloguing your work experience. If you can figure out how to think along those lines, you can probably craft a more interesting viewing experience, thereby making your reel a more memorable one.

no doubt.