Sign in to follow this  
levante

AE CS5 & Stack overrun

I'm getting a hell lot of “stack overrun” errors, when rendering via BG Render from After Effects CS5 (Rendering in the AE render queue works fine). The setup is pretty simple: a bunch of layers parented to a null, which is animated with a “time*x” expression on Y position. I'm sure i've done similar setups a hundred times before without any problems.

Any idea what's causing the error? I thought stack overruns usually happen when there are too many cascading dependencies between too many layers - which definitely isn't the case here.

Every instance of a stack overrun error that I know of is caused by a deeply nested set of calls in expressions or scripting. Since you say that this only happens with BG Render, I'd report this to Lloyd Alvarez (the maker of that script) to see if he can find the place where his script has a recursive / deeply nested set of calls.

Every instance of a stack overrun error that I know of is caused by a deeply nested set of calls in expressions or scripting. Since you say that this only happens with BG Render, I'd report this to Lloyd Alvarez (the maker of that script) to see if he can find the place where his script has a recursive / deeply nested set of calls.

Hi Todd,

i've contacted Lloyd and he thinks it is a problem within AE Render. After some research i found out that the error occurs when the time displacement effect is used on a pre-comp, that has expressions inside. I've already filed a bug report to Adobe, even though i doubt that anybody will care about CS5 bugs anymore... (On occasion i'll give the problem a try on CS6).

Since i'm stuck to CS5 for this project / client, i'll have to convert all my expressions to keyframes on render time.