Sign in to follow this  
justinfromohio

Transitioning to another career

I keep threatening to lock the doors and never come back - usually immediately after a series of soul-crushing projects with clients who just refuse to realize we don't just 'push buttons' or pull this it out of our ass.

Someday I'll be opening a simple menu breakfast shop where the day starts at 4am and is wrapped by noon. Someday..

I got so burned out I went into accounting. What was always draining for me was the need to be creative "on demand" for whatever job. Some people have an amazing ability to do that but I can't. I switched to a field where it's more about problem solving; where progress is more quantifiable, and I'm really enjoying it.

Hey Beaver! So that's what you've been doing. How long have you been in accounting?

Someday I'll be opening a simple menu breakfast shop where the day starts at 4am and is wrapped by noon. Someday..

Someday I'll be opening 7/11 franchises all over some small town thats booming.... Someday...

Hey Beaver! I hear you man. I thought about going back to school too. In the end it's what you say..."quantifiable progress" ...in this field once you know your way around stuff, progress often stops being about quality. It's about pleasing someone.

Aside from the occasional stress of having to be "on" when I'm not always feeling 100% creative or the rush to deadline, I feel damn lucky to be in this field. To each his own I guess.. I can't imagine doing anything else honestly. Maybe its the lack of being tied down and having always been freelance. The reality is the that I think the people in our field are some of the most awesome people out there to work with. Freelance benefits me the freedom to travel between projects, keep up with hobbies, and lead a fairly balanced life. Perhaps if I was working for a sweatshop house or a fulltimer somewhere I didn't like, my tune would be different.

Hey Beaver, have you given any thought to using your newfound accounting chops and experience in our industry together, as an EP of a shop? A good EP that is part accountant, part salesman, and has a good understanding of our world is a very, very difficult find. They tend to work Banker's hours and make a good percentage.

I got so burned out I went into accounting. What was always draining for me was the need to be creative "on demand" for whatever job. Some people have an amazing ability to do that but I can't. I switched to a field where it's more about problem solving; where progress is more quantifiable, and I'm really enjoying it.

Hey Beaver, have you given any thought to using your newfound accounting chops and experience in our industry together, as an EP of a shop? A good EP that is part accountant, part salesman, and has a good understanding of our world is a very, very difficult find. They tend to work Banker's hours and make a good percentage.

I agree this is a great idea. mograph community needs accountants.

i've made a slight pivot, to more video editing. but then again, that's what i've always wanted to do, i just utilize my mograph experience to make me a better editor.

not that far off though. One thing that gets to me is the lack of daily stability. Even working for large companies this day and age, there's no stability....

One thing that gets to me is the lack of daily stability. Even working for large companies this day and age, there's no stability....

I cannot agree more.

Freelance was great for me. Well paid but stressful and I'd get burnt out quick. Now though I have a full time gig producing video's for an educational company. Job is awesome and I leave at 5 on the dot every night. Restored that work life balance I had wanted for so long. regular pay and now free evenings...

Funny thing is I realised I actually didn't have any hobbies when I left freelance as all my time was consumed by that. I don't feel I'm at that stage where I want to transition to something else but it will one day.

Holy crap! Thanks everyone for the responses to this, even though this thread is pretty old. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input. Hopefully, this can help some people out at some point in their careers that might have the same thought process. I guess I'll give an update. I tried the dev life and it was ok but once I got into the day to day, I really missed working in C4d and AE. I found out I liked designing and animation a little more than coding but I did learn Javascript which was actually a nice skill to pick up. So I'm doing more animation again and designing some user interfaces which is a nice change of pace. So being wiser, a little older and a few whiskeys deep. I'm just seeing where this work will go. thanks again