Sign in to follow this  
Atom

How Would I Model A Spiral Relief?

Hello All,

I am trying to create something like what is show at the link below. It is essentially a lightly subdivided cube with a spiral relief on one side. It is the spiral part I am unsure how to create.

A Blender solution would be ideal, but workflow from any 3D app would be appreciated. I want the final result to be a single object with good topology, quads and loops intact.

Thanks!

http://blenderartists.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=228730&d=1366195415

You can see the wireframe so it makes it pretty easy to deconstruct.

In c4d (but I assume the spline tools are pretty similar across the board) I would start with a sweep of the spiral with whatever profile you need, cut it in half and fill in the rest of the polygons on that flat surface of the cube. Nothing weird going on here and there's never really a shortcut to good topology. just make the spiral and copy that image to make your cuts...

Thanks for the tips. I came to a similar solution once I realized it was a multi-step process. I was trying to carve something out of a block. Now I see that the sprial needs to be converted first then build the cube part out from that result.

My initial spiral work is here.

http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=252229&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1376168179

PS: How do I attach an image on this forum? My Media seems to have no options for upload. Is this becuase of my post count?