Sign in to follow this  
steelparadox

Texturing a page turn using spline wrap

Hey Folks,

So- I'm using a mospline and spline wrap to have a thin cube object fold and bend like a turning book page. Basically like in this vid:

So far so good. The problem comes when I want to texture the page. Using both UVW and cubic texturing produces some weird results --- half the texture is displayed properly, and the other half is flipped or out of place. It does this in bands. Anyone know how to get around this? I've tried using the stick texture tag to no avail, so my next thought was maybe to bake the setup to PLA. The problem with that is I'm not sure how to get an object to PLA when it's using a combination of mospline and spline wrap. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

C4D 11.5

Sounds like your problem is coming from the cube. When you have a thin cube bending you're going to have a really hard time keeping the two sides of the cube from intersecting. I'd start with a plane and then use a Cloth Nurbs object to add thickness. That way you don't have any faces to intersect each other but you still have thickness.

R

Using both UVW and cubic texturing

Have you tried using "Flat" Projection with the "Stick texture" tag? I did a flip page project a bit ago and did that, although I just used a "Plane" object set the Material to be on "Front" side on one and "Back" on the other. If your able to put up the project file, it always helps to see what you're dealing with.

Wasn't there some script by you on Cineversity? Perhaps time to let it out and settle the topic once and for the rest of eternity...

Mylenium

No. The script was PlaneSmart by Rick Barrett. He decided to release it through Cineversity, not me. I made a tutorial about how to use it to texture hundreds of magazine pages as a favor to him for letting me use it for so many years.

What PlaneSmart didn't do (and what I've seen no plugin do well) is handle the actual page turns, stopping in the middle of flips, or address issues that arise in the binding.

-m

I believe I've used a method that The Monkey talked about quite a while back which is a simple bend deformer on a plane. Works like a charm. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.