Sign in to follow this  
ayruos

Mode7 Video (#weekendprojects)

Hi! So a couple of months ago I made a fan made visuals based music video for an indie artist here in India (albeit with a lot of help from GSG tutorials). It was quite well appreciated and I would love to know what the professional community here thinks about it.

https://vimeo.com/63071811

Also, this is part of my series of projects called #WeekendProjects, an effort to do some independent work outside client control. I'll be grateful if you guys check that out too, even though it's not much C4D work otherwise, here.

There are some successes and failures here. I think the glitch effect you've created is well-crafted, and the timing of significant cuts or actions is complementary to the audio. So there are some nice aspects to the execution, and you'll usually get positive feedback on that alone, if you're asking family, friends, other amateurs, etc.

Now, take this and put it in on television, or present it as the official video for this song, and you'll get a different response. An audience who doesn't know you, who is expecting that the work comes from a professional source, and has no clue what they're about to see, is going to evaluate this differently. They're going to be looking for an experience that is worth their time. They'll look for a narrative, or information, or emotional content (something uplifting, or funny, or poignant, or relateable). Absent of all of that, such as the case of an abstract visual exploration, you have to present them with something so visually interesting, curious, or novel, that the experience is revelatory, and they won't mind the lack of other content. That's a pretty tall order, and what you've actually made here is a kind of rehash of a visual fashion that's been regurgitated for the last few years. It's made well enough, but there's nothing to really hold the interest of a modern audience.

What you get from gsg tutorials is typically a breakdown of some specific kind of imagery, or of a function of C4D or AE, as a step by step process so that you can replicate it yourself. But that kind of leaves you only with the ability to make those few things, or use those few tools. So you've made basically what you've been shown how to make, which is backward. What you need to do, going forward, is think of something you'd like to make and that would excite an audience, and then figure out how to make it. Don't let your knowledge of this tool or that tool restrain your ambitions. You'll make more satisfying things because they'll have come from you, instead of being a rehash of someone else's stuff. What you're doing is fine for now, but this is the way you want to be headed. I hope that makes sense.

Hi Binky,

Thanks for your feedback. I think I know what you're talking about and I shall take this forward for my future projects. I'm an offline + online editor by profession and most of my day-to-day work involved editing, colour correction and basic compositing. I'm learning motion graphics and 3D on my own to experiment and your feedback will definitely help me in going forwards.