Sign in to follow this  
scott frizzle

Team Render kicks ass

it rally is awesome, a couple of quick tips, make sure if your using gi for animation, that all your team render clients repository path is pointing to somewhere big. And your using team render in the render queue and only doing specific frames, makes ure your master machine is part of the team (that last one has to be a bug)

createivebloke -- is there any way to cache the GI as previously done in net render and then us that for the client to render the scene? I have not had a ton of time to test but we have a mix of 9 machines (PC/Mac) with different processors and want to make sure there is no flicker. Thanks for any info... so far this is an awesome asset.

Really hoping the next step would be to allow computers to be added through a remote login so studios/freelancers could share render horsepower.

My biggest issue from what I remember hearing is that you can not set job priority. This would be a major gap in the pipeline at my studio. We are constantly working on multiple jobs rendering simultaneously needing certain shots or jobs rendering first. I would love to use it but for that reason I can't I will have to stick with Thinkbox Deadline... correct me if I am wrong about this since I heard it discussed at Siggraph.

yeah head over to CG Talk for why it doesn't really kick ass for anyone but individuals. No web UI, no priority management, no standalone server (you have to run a render queue from your actual C4D app)

There's a big net render shaped hole been left in C4D and it will be a while before everyone is happy again.

Nobody is saying Team Render isn't awesome, but it would have been even better as an addition until it has feature parity with it's grandfather. Small studios lost a lot of functionality here

yeah head over to CG Talk for why it doesn't really kick ass for anyone but individuals. No web UI, no priority management, no standalone server (you have to run a render queue from your actual C4D app)

There's a big net render shaped hole been left in C4D and it will be a while before everyone is happy again.

Nobody is saying Team Render isn't awesome, but it would have been even better as an addition until it has feature parity with it's grandfather. Small studios lost a lot of functionality here

What, you guys don't all work alone? ;) It is unfortunate that they've stripped away some of the functionality you mention; let's hope they add it back in and keep the no hassle speed boost that the solo acts are enjoying.

Would agree that it would be better as an add-on rather than replacement. What would be even better is if they had built the render que into the client.

Maxon... please built the render que into the team renderer client.

I may be mistaken, but can't you just stop a job in the que and reorder and restart? I have not tested that with the new Team Renderer, but it worked in R14 for me when working locally.

Dann from Render King is testing extensively if he can even implement R15 Team Render into his farm, there's already been a lot of serious discussion over at CG Talk like I said. There are also issues with things like clients crashing and how the frames are redistributed etc not being a fluid as NET and detailed stuff like that.

Of course if you only add jobs from one machine to the queue, then whoever HAS that render queue (master of the renderverse?) can stop and reorder etc. The idea is that anyone can just add a job whenever, and it's very diplomatically assigned an order in a round robin type deal (from what I read). So there is literally not a way within a team environment other than all being very careful and polite to prioritise the order of renders. Could get sketchy..

I cannot tell you how often during big projects I used the web net server to start, reorder, check jobs, download results. All this would now have to be done over VPN clients (which i also use) but add all that together without one master render queue like before, it's just a bit of a mess.

It's one of those things were the VAST majority won't have any issues at all and its a huge plus for most customers, but those who do have issues will be screwed. Seems like the solution is really just to continue to use R14 as a NET render solution which is even less of a problem if using Vray etc because you don't really lose any new features of R15 anyway. Utilise the modeling tools etc.. throw it back to R14. Basically have to cross our fingers that any plugins remain ok flipping between the 2 versions.

Everything will be fine.. eventually

As a beta tester I can tell you that a lot of us are very vocal about the shortcomings of Team Render in the beta forums.

Big issues for me are:

1) You can't render in a linear way (frame 1, 2, 3, 4, etc)

2) No ability to use multiple machines to render 1 frame during animation (the way you can with a still image)

3) No web interface

4) No way to detect rendered frames after a crash (supposedly Render Queue has this, but Team Render to Picture Viewer does not)

I love using it here at home - but I'm a single freelancer working out of an office here. It definitely has been great for a lot of jobs. However, I can understand why actual "teams" would have issues with it. All I can say is that your / our voices are being heard and I'm sure a web interface along with other improvements are in the works.

Good news! Forgot to add I don't think there's the function that net had where if you have a folder half full of frames then checks which frames are already rendered. I assume it takes on the bulldozer existing frames will be overwritten' approach from the render queue...

That was another huge plus, if you got an error in a few frames or the whole thing crashed it wasn't necessary to set those specific frames to render again, just delete them and net would figure out the missing frames and get to work. Ah, memories. Well like I say, I'm sure R14 will continue to be our network renderer for animation for foreseeable future, Distributed still renders are a bonus for sure!

I'm really interested to see how Vray's DR works in comparison to this when it hits at the end of the month

Edited by froj

We use Deadline for rendering and was wondering if there's a way for a render node to know if its doing a team render still image vs a regular Deadline render. Example, a node is doing a AE job in Deadline then midway through someone submits a team render still. I could see having both rendering at the same time would bring the computer to a hault, maybe crash it. Would be nice if there were some way for c4d to talk to external managers so this wouldn't happen?

I have to disagree with the title of this thread. Its a huge headache. For quickly doing preview renders... its kinda cool, but not worth this. I have to go back and patch render missed / missing / messed up frames constantly. I can't even queue up patches. And sometimes (not all of the time, it doesn't even display all of the queued up frames in the picture viewer, so I never know what the status is. It loads up a new frame in the list when it gets to it. I am FAR more involved in babysitting these renders than I would like to be.

I will probably have to roll back to R14. I'll give it a few more days. Maybe I'm just being stupid and am missing something.

I will probably have to roll back to R14. I'll give it a few more days. Maybe I'm just being stupid and am missing something.

I don't think you're missing anything. Team Render kicks ass for me, but it's not a replacement for NET Render. At least not yet.

I'm probably stating the obvious, but Maxon should keep NET Render available until Team Render can do everything NET Render could do.

I'm an individual freelancer and I miss some of the features of NET Render. I can only imagine the hair pulling going on in studios/shops who upgraded to R15.

I don't think you're missing anything.

Thanks. At least I'm not the cause of my own frustration (this time). :-)

I just wish it had a queue and the ability to skip frames. Oh, and change job priorities. Thats all.

I'm all for getting rid of the additional share on our NAS for net render, and having to transfer them / manage what gets overwritten, etc.

Edited by AromaKat

I have to disagree with the title of this thread. Its a huge headache. For quickly doing preview renders... its kinda cool, but not worth this. I have to go back and patch render missed / missing / messed up frames constantly. I can't even queue up patches. And sometimes (not all of the time, it doesn't even display all of the queued up frames in the picture viewer, so I never know what the status is. It loads up a new frame in the list when it gets to it. I am FAR more involved in babysitting these renders than I would like to be.

Yeah, it appears my enthusiasm was a bit premature. It's been great for me, but clearly needs work for a large number of users. It was so easy for me to set up and use (after years of spotty results with NET) that I felt like I should offset my many complaints over the years with something positive. Can we edit the titles of posts on here? ;)

I'd like to add my motion graphic team to the list of people frustrated with TR. We really need to be able to have an intuitive queue interface like what used to be front and center in Net Render, and we need to be able to stop renders and pick them right back up where they left off (or where they had crashed from). Without these two things, we cannot use R15's Team Render and have to use 14's Net Render.

Does this work?

http://www.maxon.net/en/support/suggestions.html

I made those to points and hope there is an update/solution/fix from Maxon

Agree, TR has a loooong way to go before I call it awesome. For small projects, it's been brilliant, but for larger projects with multiple scenes it's been less effective. Now I barely ever used NetRender just because it was always a pain to set up and had many glitches.

One of the major downsides has been the few occasions that has happened quite a bit this past week working on a large project is I'll be rendering on TR, and my main computer will crash, but the Client computer will keep rendering it's currently assigned block of frames, but once it's done with those frames, it stops.

So for me to start up the render again, TR is a pain because I'll need to then render in frame chunks, say 55-200, and then 350-450. TR would be awesome if it detected which frames still needed to be rendered from a sequence and pick up where it left off.

TR is a great start but I feel like they pulled an Apple & Final Cut X. Made it easier overall, but a lot of functionality is missing. I know they're hard at work improving TR, but for people who work in teams, TR is a step backwards.

I've been using Qube to network render for awhile now and was hoping Team Render could be a replacement for that. But it doesn't look that way. If you're in a studio with multiple artists, I would suggest going with a 3rd party network renderer like Qube or Deadline.

I'm really quite over TR. It has repeatedly been crashing C4D when I leave it to render overnight using the render queue.

Make sure your team render nodes have all hibernation / power saving / screensavers off.

Yeah... I'm getting a little upset as well. The lack of assigning priority levels, having to restart the ENTIRE render if something goes wrong, and not being able to turn on more nodes during a render is killing us.

Dumb R14-user question: do you have to use Team Render? Does R15 not come with Net Render at all?

R

Net Render is gone in R15. If you rely on Net Render in R14 to meet your deadlines, be very careful about upgrading. Team Render is great for quick test renders, but for critical final renders it's not ready for prime time.

The biggest issue for me is that I can't open two copies of R15 on two machines that are linked without some friggin' box popping up telling me so. Why does this matter? Well, as a one man band I will often work on shots over two machines in a sort of production line, with one machine rendering as I animate and twiddle on the other. This has worked great for me over the years, but now that's not an option. I can't isolate my machine as one they are both accessing assets on external drives, email etc.

This is one steaming bag of shite to drop on mograph individuals, as even the Evil Empire Adobe lets me run two instances at a time (please keep letting us do this) and there's no way I can afford a second seat, and why should as I've only one arse. According to Maxon UK the answer is Team Render, but I can't get the bugger to work for love nor money (h,y fault but after a couple of mornings fiddling with settings I gave up) and it only allows me to RENDER, not to WORK.

Beats me why Maxon hate sole traders so much. It's tough enough competing with small-mid size studios for work without this sort of short-sighted money-grabbing crap from people who we pay for services.

It pains me to say this, but I've used every iteration of C4D since it was ported to the Mac from the Amiga and now I'm starting research part-time (Ph.D! Dinosaurs! Yay!) that will require heavy-duty 3D over the next few years. Maxon can go whistle for my custom as an academic, which is a shame as their logo would look good on my slides and posters when I attend conferences and we're breaking new ground here, a small but significant market is emerging. However, this one shithead idea has changed my mind about using C4D for anything but work, which I have to for my clients. I hear the call of the mighty Maya.

Why fuck up a great programme with this myopic, small-minded idiocy? Pathetic.