Sign in to follow this  
dotcommer

Inverted falloff on plain effector doesn't render!

Been pulling my hair out about this for a couple hours now! Ridiculous. Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on here?! Why doesn't an inverted falloff on a plain effector render properly?

I'm on R13, getting the error in both standard and physical render.

Here's a clip of my scene file for those interested in taking a look:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9wWFBnMitXKYkJVYTZWdEZSa28/edit?usp=sharing

And a screenshot of what I'm talking about:

FnLisLz.png

I don't know the technical reason why this is the case, but often you get problems with stuff like this if you've got render instances turned on in the cloner. I just turned it off and it works fine.

Someone else might be able to shed some light on why, i think its just that certain mograph effects don't work with it

Thanks Rich. That seemed to alleviate part of the issue. The other part though is that some cloners were spawning floating out above the landscape, which blew my mind. I've never seen that before, and it was only present in the picture viewer, and only with Physical Render. I come across inconsistencies like this all the time, and its maddening. Something about cloning on a surface, and scaling using an inverted fall off of a plain effector makes Physical Render unhappy.

I ended up solving that second issue by dropping the plain effector's strength down by a percentage. So bizarre. I have no idea why that worked.

Thanks for the suggestion! (love your every day tumblr btw, been following it for a while now)

I've had a few issues before with using inverted falloffs. Been a while though. Do you still get the weird behaviour if you cache the scene first?

If it looks like a bug sent it to maxon bug reports webpage and get them to look into it