Carey

Building a reel, start to finish

So I made a video, as described in this Mograph thread, where I take a demo reel and completely revamp it. It's in 4 parts, and it's probably too long, but it's a passable start for what I hope to be a small series of episodes.

- Looking at the original reel

- Selecting and editing the audio (honestly, you can probably skip most of this one)

- Building an intro and starting the edit

- The final

(720p. Some parts are blocked in Germany, because of record companies. Sorry.)

I hope it's of some use, and no one's seen this yet, so please pile on the constructive criticism if you have it. I'm really trying to figure out how to make these things better. And super huge thanks to levante for letting me use his reel as fodder, as well as everyone else who offered to help.

Carey

ps. Looks like shit on youtube. Still having trouble with compression. If anyone in LA wants to school me on that, I'll come to you.

Edited by Binky

Nice. Definitely helpful to me.

I searched the Net for ages looking for a tutorial like this and nothing came up....nothing. I like especially how you deal with the "why" and then the "how". The "why" seems to be the gold here. Lots of tuts say "this is how you get this look/effect" but I find the real and rare value to be more in the "this is why you should do it".

Damn it - can't watch my own reel now, cause i'm in Germany!

The intro part is fun to watch - though i think the mood of the graphics might be a bit too aggressive for the “nice guy to work with” freelancer type (even with Santa in there). By the way: “Schöner fernsehen” is hard to translate and means something like: “lovelier teleview” but it's also a malapropism for “schöner wohnen” a german magazine similar to “ideal home” (maybe i should have told you that before...).

Overall i'll second destro: it is good that you concentrate on the why - because it is so much more important than which button to press. This really sets your tutorial apart.

Wonder why you worried about the microphone part - i think you're actually pretty good at it.

Its great that you took the time to make this. Your cutting and audio choice are definitely a big improvement, the cube/headlight cut really stood out in the reel before you broke it down. My only criticism was that, to me, the intro looked way too much like something I've seen before with the grungey textures and rockabilly-goth aesthetic. But maybe that is due to the fact that you had to invent a personality for someone you don't know, which isn't the point of the tutorial. The reel content ended up with a lot of smooth gradients, light effects and shiny reflections - maybe it would have been interesting to make some kind of clean, glossy gothrock amalgam instead of flickery-grunge… something that would provide a new take on the aesthetic in the content instead of simply contrasting with it.

Binky, you are truly fantastic.

Now I need to build a time machine to bring my 25-year-old self into the present to watch this, send him back, and tell him to memorize this series of tips.

Anyone in Germany should have proxtube installed to bypass that GEMA bullshit anyway. None of my business but is there a reason to avoid vimeo by the way?

Can't wait to watch this properly! Thank you

The "why" is what I'm constantly searching for. Endlessly scouring the internets for tutorials/breakdowns that don't sit there and just breakdown a shot of how it was done. I want to know why it was done. Why were those decisions made.

Binky, I'd buy your book. Or subscribe to your weekly podcast. You are planning to do a weekly podcast now, aren't you? ;)

-Spunj

Anyone in Germany should have proxtube installed to bypass that GEMA bullshit anyway.

Thanks froj - just came back from the Oktoberfest and i'm properly drunk, but now i can finally watch my very own reel (couldn't get it to work before - thought youtube is only for skate kids & funny cat movies and never really cared about the GEMA problems before). I'll report back when i'm sober again :blink:

this is great, i love the way you put this togheter, really helpful and funny to watch too.

great work, not surprised since i like to read your post when you comments other people reels.

thanks and keep it up!

Just caught this post right before catching some zzzzz. I haven't looked thoroughly through all the videos yet. But much respect for taking the time to create and share these with the community Binky!

Just a side note: You may want to post these on Vimeo as well.

so far on part II and it realyl is wonderful!

love your narration and the tone and all the useful tips and stuff. REALLY informative.

where would you suggest i learn some basics of editing music together? Because right now whenever i try to cut a track down it just sucks.. :(

Much respect Binky. I watched all of these & picked up a lot of good nuggets of wisdom. I've always loved your critiques, honestly the best part of this site right now. You've certainly been tough but fair with some of my stuff which I really appreciate. It's hard to get criticism like that in most places. Really made me re-think some stuff.

I also love the way you talked about the how & why, not just push button A, push button B crap that passes too much for tutorials these days. I want to know the thinking behind it & this delivered in spades.

I've been wanting to re-do my reel for awhile now, and it's certainly given me a lot to consider that I hadn't thought of before. I really want to take the time to re-brand & carefully go through everything. Loved your thought "create an experience for the viewer and that they remember that experience."

This was pure gold. Really hope you do more of these. Another series on your whole design process would be awesome as well. I haven't been active on this site much lately, but wanted to take the time to let you know how much I appreciated all the time & effort that you obviously put into this. It really showed.

That was awesome. Many thanks for putting in the hours to create that.

One point that wasn't covered and I'm curious to hear if people think this is important but I would have added maybe a rule 5 or 6 (can't rememember how many Binky had in the end). Which is: Logos and celebrities show em if you got em.

Maybe not so important for production company clients where it's more about the quality of you're work but I think a lot of times agencies like to see recognizable brands, and celebrities/athletes/musicians/actors in your reel if you have them be sure to show em off...

Binky.

So.

Damn.

Good.

Why isn't this thread a sticky with boldface italics and what not?!

This should be required viewing.

Thanks for taking the time and the effort into putting this together.

I hope this is of some use to a few people and there's a nugget in there that helped. It's a first pass. It took me several weeks to put together, cuz I had a ton of stuff to make and a ton of stuff to learn along the way, and if I do more, hopefully they'll get better. I'll try to condense and distill for the next one. And learn how not to whisper or scream into the mic. :D

It won't really make much sense to spend all of this time on it if there isn't a bigger audience, so if anyone has any ideas about where/how to find people who might benefit, let me know. Subreddits? CGTalk? I dunno.

One point that wasn't covered and I'm curious to hear if people think this is important but I would have added maybe a rule 5 or 6 (can't rememember how many Binky had in the end). Which is: Logos and celebrities show em if you got em.

It's certainly not an exhaustive list, so you could include that, but I don't really subscribe to the universal usefulness of name-dropping. I'm sure that causes a gleam in some employers' eyes, but that's not somethin I'm gonna push real hard.

My only criticism was that, to me, the intro looked way too much like something I've seen before with the grungey textures and rockabilly-goth aesthetic.

That's true. I didn't put a lot of energy into innovation on that front. Specificity in visual communication is something I'd rather relegate to its own episode, if I get that far. Totally could have done a better job on that intro, but it sucked up a lot of unpaid time as it was.

Regarding the music, except for the De La song those tracks really dreadful. The Sleigh Bells is so-so. I can see the practical use & the feeling you want to convey in it.

Yeah, that whole Part II is pretty questionable. I tried to make it as non-subjective as possible, but I fucked it up, and it's way too long, either way. I planned to strictly highlight the structure of the tracks, and their qualities, instead of going off about whether I liked them or not, and I lost track of that in the making. But y'know, fuck you i like those tracks hahaha :D

It won't really make much sense to spend all of this time on it if there isn't a bigger audience, so if anyone has any ideas about where/how to find people who might benefit, let me know. Subreddits? CGTalk? I dunno.

CGTalk for sure. Are you happy for anyone and everyone to post links to the YouTube videos around the Net?