Sign in to follow this  
rich

Jiggle deformer on splines?

Hi guys,

Been trying to see if i can use a jiggle deformer on a spline. Seems to work fine except I can't seem to restrict any of the points. Tried set selection on the spline points but that doesn't work if you put it in the restriction tag.

Can you assign weight maps to splines? Seems it lets me create one but not sure if it actually does anything

cheers

Just take a Weight Effector (Character Menu),

and put it into your Restriction List. Now you can use

the Falloff Tab of the Weight Effector as usual.

Edited by tezuka

Thanks! Never actually looked into the the weight effector before, very nice

i take it theres no way to actually bake in weights for spline vertices though?

Edited by rich

Splines can have vertex maps/ weight maps just like any other object and those can just as well be used to restrict influences.

Mylenium

Splines can have vertex maps/ weight maps just like any other object and those can just as well be used to restrict influences.

Mylenium

Are you sure? Weights are stored but there seems to be no indication of actual usage for it,

tried it out with a simple deformer…

Thanks! Never actually looked into the the weight effector before, very nice

You're welcome!

What exactly are you after?

Why baking in weights?

You could misuse a Matrix Object and Clone Weights,

or TP could be another way.

Thanks tezuka

I'm actually trying a few tests with the jiggle deformer on splines, essentially trying to create a simple dynamic spline that i can control more with falloff. From what i've read online its seems that jiggle deformer should work fine with splines, and that weight maps and points selections should also work with splines. So far though i can't seem to get them to work together in the restriction tab of the jiggle deformer.

So i don't need to bake them in as such, but just trying to get a weight map working with the spline object.

Thanks

>> Edit: infact sorry just found out that it does work, but the spline has to be set to linear interpolation

Edited by rich

Are you sure? Weights are stored but there seems to be no indication of actual usage for it,

tried it out with a simple deformer…

Splines are a subset of the point object type and behave just the same like any other point object. If it doesn't work for you, you may be doing something wrong.

Mylenium

I must be doing something wrong, but can't seem to get it to work. Just tried a test scene, with a polyplane with a bend deformer applied, then using a weight map of the end points to restrict the one end. If i do the same with a spline the restriction seems to stop any of the spline from deforming. For the spline i just selected the vertices and used mesh->set weight 100% - but theres no colour feedback on the verts like you get with polygon weightmaps

http://d.pr/f/PYAI

Hello,

Only one weight effector is allowed ?

The restriction tab is not reactive to more than one weight effector ? thx

I tried it with 3 Weight Effectors and my spline reacted to them,

so that seems to work :)

Keep in mind that the Jiggle Deformer has also a Falloff Tab and one could use a simple polygon object with a couple of vertices for fine controlling the behaviour. Even another spline could be used as a source for the Falloff. In the end you're masking/blending the jiggle effect away as it is calculated for the whole object whatsoever :)

Edited by tezuka

sorry to pull this thread back up, but how where you animating the spline?

Im trying to use a pose morph tag to animate the spline and a jiggle deformer to add some jiggle, but i get zero results =(

edit: actually now i get some jiggle, but waay after teh animation has stopped..

Edited by vozzz