Sign in to follow this  
destro

CINEBENCH R15 - take ya hotrods for a spin

Who cares? Benchmarks are stupid and C4D's rendering performance still sucks. I don't need an extra tool to have that verified.

Mylenium

It's not really about C4D, it's about tuning your system.

*lol* What info do you hope to gain from running Cinebench that would help you "tune your system" beyond stating obvious things like that your graphics driver may be out of date? What relevance does it even have for your everyday work, whether your viewport runs at 60.7fps or just 40fps? And still, even then, what could Cinebench possibly tell you about requirements for programs from other vendors? Sorry, this is nonsense and you all seem to have too much time on your hands to waste. It only ends up like the fanboys on CGTalk winding themselves up about the not yet released new Mac Pro scoring bad when half of them never do more than flying logos which these days you could render in no time on a mobile phone. Unless one is in the market for buying a new system and specifically trying to tailor it to be used with Cinema 4D, all info Cinebench can give you is possibly not relevant at all. It's typical "Mine is longer..." stuff.

Mylenium

Unless one is in the market for buying a new system and specifically trying to tailor it to be used with Cinema 4D, all info Cinebench can give you is possibly not relevant at all.

You answered yourself right there. In the title I talk about "hotrods"....as in custom built systems that are tuned to a specific purpose. The benchmark results might not fit perfectly with other vendors but "not relevant at all"?....of course they are relevant to a degree. Does VRAY render with some alien tech?

Cinebench is free and quick to run. When you make a change to your system do you do before/after tests or just say "well....something must have happened cause I spend all those $$$$" (BTW I don't think you do that but since you're throwing monkey shit through the bars for no reason I might as well too).

Yeah, and just because Cinebench tells you so, you spend agonizing afternoons trying to track down some issue happening at the quantum level that you couldn't be bothered about otherwise. Or you realize that you actually had Skype open all the time and it screwed your OpenGL score. Again, practical relevance equals zero and even your VRay argument makes no sense. As we all know, tweaking settings matter as much or even more and I'm sure there are wonderful ways of making VRay slow as hog as it is easy enough to bomb your scene with area lights in vanilla C4D as per this:

http://myleniumblog.com/2013/09/10/render-shootout/

Mylenium

Yeah, and just because Cinebench tells you so, you spend agonizing afternoons trying to track down some issue happening at the quantum level that you couldn't be bothered about otherwise. Or you realize that you actually had Skype open all the time and it screwed your OpenGL score. Again, practical relevance equals zero and even your VRay argument makes no sense. As we all know, tweaking settings matter as much or even more and I'm sure there are wonderful ways of making VRay slow as hog as it is easy enough to bomb your scene with area lights in vanilla C4D as per this:

http://myleniumblog.com/2013/09/10/render-shootout/

Mylenium

Quantum level???...CINEBENCH tells me so???...agoniszing???....Skype???...what are you on about? It sounds like you are having an argument with a voice in your head.

I was assuming most people on MOGRAPH are pros, not complete idiots with nothing better to do with their time. Maybe that's with our difference of opinion lies.

Thanks for the tip about settings having an effect on render times...................................................

And of course you do have a point about some of my writing sounding a bit odd at 3 in the morning, so perhaps I better should have written "You spend agonizing afternoons trying to track down a culprit (that may or may not exist) because Cinebench tells you your computer sucks." or something along those lines. Likewise, it might have been more technically correct to say "You only realize Skype screwed your OpenGL score because its video overlay gobbled up too many resources." or whatever... Fantastic what a cup of tea in the morning can do to get the juices flowing. Well, whatever...

Mylenium

During Beta of CB 15 i encountered a dual Xeon workstation with surprising discrepancies between MP and SP performance. There was no other indicator that showed any problem and the manufacturer was adamant that everything were ok. They sent a second, identical, system that did not show the porroblem. As it turned out CB uncovered a serious EFI configuration error they made on that machine, reducing SP and Viewport performance quite a lot.

For me personally CB 15 was usefull to double check how much i gained from OCing my 4770K and if it is worth the effort, result, yes, it is worth it.

Everyone has to know for himself if he wants to use this tool and for what purpose.

i agree... sounds like a mac vs windows debate.

i like cinebench, coz it makes picking a new cpu easier when i buy a computer. i can see how other people cpu's are scoring and weather the increase in price actually gives me a performance boost. and how much faster stuff will actually render ( maybe its cheaper and better to buy an extra node).

on that bright side those rants made me check out your website. I really like all the stuff you got there :))

haha, 3am makes for grumpy writing :ph34r:

but, you`re right, everyone with their phalluses, between the lines though, you shed some light on the processing power and upgrading options,

I worked last month @ a small studio that chose to upgrade to the new 27" imacs with i5 processor, once the render times hit, you have address the issues of a slow processor, the benefits of a better, and how the we would have previewed faster and run smother+ deliver in time.

I`m not even gonna touch the vray subject <_< Better CB score makes for happy camper.

Ahh, Feels like the old days in here .

I do agree that C4D is overall just slower with just general performance, viewport and rendering - compared to 3ds Max/Maya. It is very fast at making quick abstract stuff with mograph though.

Even if you're not a fan of cinebench, I guess some kind of universal test to benchmark stuff is kinda useful, never used it myself though.

I find Cinebench usefull. In a mixed machine environment, its good to get a good sense of what machines provide to the render pool, so we can migrate our work over to another workstation if what we are doing doesn't warrant much horsepower. That, and its helpful when configuring the render cows, which are identical machines so they should have identical performance levels. It also helps me accurrately predict the direct impact of new hardware when researching posted cinebench scores.

So... here are my results. If someone is getting much better scores with the same CPU, I'd like to know so I can investigate. The same processor @ 3.3ghz in the pre-ranked list is getting a bit higher of a score, which makes me wonder whats going on there...

Intel i7-3930K 6C/12T overclocked to 4.375 Ghz & a GeForce GTX Titan:

OpenGL: 90.60 fps

CPU: 1034 cb