Sign in to follow this  
tcastudios

Mother F**k. CC is no longer an option.

Sometimes I really have a hard time understanding these companies and their stance on anti-piracy.

Almost all the big software companies try the same half baked techniques over and over. They're making their products more and more cumbersome on the actual consumers, yet torrent sites have cracks to bypass it all within a week of release.

It's pretty insane that we've reached a point where it's not uncommon to have to resort to pirating a product you own because it's more secure and reliable than the official version.

It is absolute, total bullshit. No matter how hard they try, there will always be pirated versions of software. And like you said all the safe-measures really only hurt the paying customers. Reminds me of renting Bluray movies and not being able to actually play them in my computer because of all the copy protection. So each time I would rent it, then go and steal the fucking thing online just to watch it. How was I able to download it though, with all the copy protection!!!??

Get a clue. Make things easier for people who are actually legit.

And by the way, I'm lucky I work at home where I always have an internet connection. Adobe makes me re-sign in quite a lot just to use the software.

-Spunj

So it's solved within a few minutes in

a support meeting with a most nice Adobe person

over in Oregon and on a Sunday.

In short, a database file was corrupt, "opm.db".

How to:

Close "Adobe Creative Cloud".

("Cog wheel -> "Quit Cretive Cloud")

In OSX 10.8.5 delete "opm.db".

~ user/Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE/opm.db

Re-start Applications/Creative Cloud.

Sign in again.

As this was so "simple" for support to help out with,

I wonder as of why it was -impossible- to get support

last Friday noon as a European Customer.

(No answer, waiting for 20+ minutes at the support

number given for Swedish customers, long distance

call on a mobile phone, and then the swedish

(sales)office did not return a promised call before

the workday was over)

Huge props to Todd to react to this tread!

Cheers

Lennart

I'm glad that it got sorted.

In the future, if you're having problems with activation, installation, and similar issues---and you can't get help from our regular phone support---I recommend coming to these forums:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/creative_cloud

http://forums.adobe.com/community/download_install_setup

Folks like the person who helped you over the phone monitor those forums.

I'm glad I bought CS6 in a box. This reminds me - I just started a new job a while back and we had copies of Serious Magic "Ultra". For some of the corporate work I do, it's sufficient. Unfortunately, Adobe bought them and turned off the activation server. I have a bunch of expensive software I would still get use out of but it was simply switched off overnight. So you can imagine how much I like activation servers.

I was a mainframe guy in the 80s and watched IBM et al issue annual licenses for software and dreaded the day that came along. Those days are here, sadly.

I didn't upgrade from CS6 at home, and we didn't upgrade from CS6 at work. I don't want to move to a subscription. I can't afford it, and I can't afford to lose all my software the first month I can't absorb the cost.

Students are getting it the very worst. At my wife's school, students used to get educational copies, which meant they couldn't use them for commercial work. Then they lifted that restriction, so you could use them for commercial work. Then they changed it entirely so instead of getting educational copies, you got full retail copies. Now? You get Creative Cloud for one year, which means the moment you're done school you don't have any software, even though you paid the same amount up front. Hundreds of dollars per year just went from getting you the entire Master Collection to getting you absolutely nothing.

Son of a B!tch this CC crap sucks. I was pretty open to it before and adopted it early on instead of buying CS6 upgrade. Now I just wish I could pay someone the licenses my business uses to develop new software and walk away. Besides having a still unresolved issue where tech support wiped files from my machine without saying anything AND multiple sign on issues on other machines, I now cant even sign into the damn software on my latop. Granted its only the second or third time I have had to open After Effects CC, but ideally I would love the software I pay for to just work as expected. After a long wait for tech support I only received minimal help that really got me no where, and here is the kicker.

The problem was that CC apps were asking me for a serial number after logging in saying that my trial was expired. After tech supports help all I can do is try to sign in to be greeted with a message "you have been signed out, please sign back in" like a never ending damn loop. Still cant open the files my client has sent in AE CC (or at least on my laptop to work on them at home) and if anything I am further from having the software work. I had to cut the call short (for a family emergency call) the techie said "no problem we can call you back in 2 hours" 4.5 hours later no freakin call. I have used AE for over 10 years and would honestly now consider another solution if there was one.

Also considering sending Adobe an invoice for my time and frustration that would at least cover the CC "subscription" for a year or two now after the down time I have had. If you have not "upgraded" definitely think twice. Sorry for the rant but as I sit here, still unable to work my need to vent had multiplied exponentially

Just curious.... Do you share logins across multiple computers, or do you have a specific license per machine?

I ask because we have one freelance license for the occasional helping hand, but have an editorial machine that I'd like to use that license on as well.

Being more of a compositor, this isn't quite an alternative, but I'm giving Mamba a shot. It might be fun to dabble with during down times.

Actually we have multiple licenses for machines... aka for each employee and then my personal one is in use on both my workstation and my laptop. I have never had any network conflicts, but outside of working at home on design and minimal C4D basics, my laptop is an email machine. This seems to be something that just is a pain in the ass with creative cloud not always working well for no apparent reason.

A different but less aggravating condition exists on my main PC workstation where I only use CS6 (but upgraded to there from the cloud instead of buying discs) where every single time I update AE CS6 I have to install the update. Then delete all my pref files and uninstall the software, then reinstall and copy my presets, plugins, etc back.... needless to say I dont even click on the update anymore. On another artists machine that is the exact same build, he has no problems, but similar issues on an 8 core 2010 MP that was his old workstation.

Really missing the days of install discs and stable upgrades

Just out of curiosity... why not nuke? Just a price point thing? Also hows the farm running out there BTW? we just built out another 4 nodes off that 3770K model and renders are whizzing out the door. Next solution is a real rack mount and another 4-5 nodes hopefully

Sucks to hear. Scary. Luckily, we haven't experienced such issues. I was getting double billed for a good six months, and the only way it was resolved was by speaking to an actual rep about migrating to a teams account. Adobe support really loved to hang up on me Thats all resolved now and we are on CC for teams. Are you on a teams account? Might help.

I'm interested in how it seems to lean more more toward being a finisher than a compositor, if that makes any sense. Not having much experience with node based stuff, I figured I'd start with that and see how things go. If I like it but find it limiting I may switch to Nuke. Real-time is something I am pushing for really hard these days, for the sit-in finishing type work. For clients accustomed to sitting in Flame bays, an AE session is painful.

The farm is feeling outdated. I have them all in a proper rack now, and added power conditioners to it since I was blowing through PSU after PSU. Someone ended up taking that helmer rack. Either of our primary workstations equal 3 - 4 of the farm nodes, so we tend to use them when its crunch time and we want renders while we keep working. We were looking to migrate to an EC2 farm solution but then R15 happened... I'm still eyeing Xeon E7s, tyring to figure out what it takes to get that fabric interconnect going and if it would even help out with the applications we use. We are already fully wired for 10gbe, so after seeing more definitive testing posted we will likely outfit the farm with E7s and have one huge office-wide brain. If that turns out to not give much bang for the buck, filling them up with 3770s does sound nice and much more cost effective.

There is also this huge push to the GPU that is giving me restraint. I didn't feel that we were that close to true gpu rendering across nearly everything until this mac pro thing came though, which is taking an approach I didn't expect. Less CPU and more GPU seems to be their vision, but we don't really know how that would work. They are a large enough force to really push developers into overdrive on utilization of GPUs, so I worry that CPUs will be less important. There are just too many variables in play right now for me to make a call on updating the farm. A lot of money can be wasted in either direction so I'm going to be paitient through the winter where things are sluggish anyway and see how things shake out.

Anyhoo... ya. Adobe support isn't ever a pleasant experience. They liked to suddenly get "disconnected" if something I was experiencing wasn't in their script book. But what else are we gonna do? Can't rock old software for too long so we just gotta figure it all out and enjoy the ride the best we can. Maybe Todd will swoop in here and help you out. Good luck!

Edited by AromaKat

License servers suck as much as activation. Companies simply need to learn to trust their paying customers again, which obviously they don't, given how they put a chain on your balls with all that technical stuff and license agreements that make you feel like a criminal....

Mylenium

One of the main reasons for Maxon to introduce the license server was the request by customers. Especially larger companies wanted to be able to control license distribution for legal reasons.

For Maxon the LS does not generate any extra income and does not prevent piracy any better than the usual serial number system.

For Maxon the LS does not generate any extra income and does not prevent piracy any better than the usual serial number system.

I paid an extra $1,000 for the license server and I believe each seat was also at a floating license premium. MSAs on each seat. How doesn't it generate extra income?

What if the online subscription model was the standard but you could pay a premium to have a digitally fingerprinted hard copy that didn't require online activation? Valid for a year of updates. If it was pirated, the digital fingerprint could somehow be linked to the purchaser? I feel there needs to be some type of comprimise or middle ground here.

On another note, I have been poking around in mamba all night now. Its apparent that my hopes and dreams for it seem to reside in it's parent product, Mistika, which I am gathering to cost the same as a Flame, 100-150k.

Still... kinda cool for what it is. So far its like working in DaVinci with a compositing flare. Fast, but I'm going to bed to dream more about owning a proper Flame.

Can this just be the rolling "bitch about CC" thread?

The newest update has pretty much fucked my ability to use ray-traced 3D. Unless After Effects is the ONLY program running, I get an error that I don't have enough free VRAM. This is a 2012 Macbook with Retina that has always handled ray-traced 3D pretty well. Meh.

Aromakat -- Have you ever checked into Fusion? For the price you would save tons on a Flame and last time I checked it had the "team renderer" abiliity to be able to use all comps on a network to cache frames to your computer. That would be freakin incredible and way beyond a Flame. The last shop I worked at that had a flame we barely ever used it and the one before that we had a smoke "finisher". It was barely faster than a really nice machine with AE on it and only three of us had an idea how to use it. Of course Fusion is node based too, but you can do an FXpHD course and see if you likey.

Oh... and on the topic of this thread... Still no call back from Adobe so just jumped back into the mix with a new call to customer service. Pretty much blows

Sorry Nightbus for hijacking it a bit. At least we have moved on to speak of alternatives in a way :-)

It sounds like you have smoke for mac. Smoke can be really fast but it must be built properly. It doesn't just magically work on a mac. I priced it out, and Smoke for Mac ends up running 40k after getting a the needed dedicated fibre arrays for media and cache to get the performance they advertise. I think you needed hacked GTX cards too. But smoke for mac doesn't allow a few things. Considering a true turnkey smoke machine is 45k out the door, I didn't see a deal within Smoke for Mac. Maybe it would make more sense if I already had most of the hardware. But no DNxHD codecs on the 'for mac' version was the real killer for us.

I will check out Fusion. I haven't heard of that in ages, but thats a compositor too, yeah?

Oh well. Moving on. AAAAADDDOOOOOOBBBBBBEEEEEEEE!!!!!! *shaking fist in the air

For those that are experiencing the sign-out issue with Creative Cloud, here are a couple things to try. BTW, I work in Adobe support. Todd brought this thread to my attention.

Note 1:

The issue can occur if your profile has special characters (‘&’, ‘<’ or ‘>’). These characters may appear in your first name, last name, Organization/Company name, or address. Users can see their profile here: https://www.adobe.com/account/account-information.html. If you do not have special characters, it’s a different issue. See note 2.

Note 2:

In case the you're seeing the “You’ve been signed out” issue and the profile does not have special characters. Please follow these steps:

1. Locate and rename opm.db file. This file can be found at:

On Windows: \Users\\AppData\Local\Adobe\OOBE
    On Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE
  2. Retry signing in

If that doesn't work, we'll need to collect some log files from your system and create a support case.

Chad

And concerning the stolen passwords it's probably more around 150 millions not 2,9 millions like Adobe previously said:

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/11/04/anatomy-of-a-password-disaster-adobes-giant-sized-cryptographic-blunder/

And if you haven't yet :

https://www.adobe.com/go/passwordreset

Edited by jan

I can't say how much this whole fucking cock-up has dented my confidence in Adobe. I have tried to get a non-cloud perpetual licence version of CS6 off Adobe so I can work offline until they've sorted this whole thing out, but they're not going to give me a copy, giving me a couple of months of cloud free instead. All well and good, but it doesn't alter the fact some scumbag has my details, and I have zero buying power as there is no competitor to switch to.

25 years of buying their software for firms I've worked for and as a freelancer counts for nothing. Zilch. Nowt. What a fucking world we've created for ourselves (not that I would ever treat any of my clients like this). Now a part of my business is controlled by people who do not give a shit about me, my family or whatever else.

“If you dont respect me what must you think of yourself?”
Cormac McCarthy, No Country for Old Men

Not using CC at all looks like its going to be THE option. Going to cancel the accounts on my business soon if nothing is fixed and go back to using CS6 master collection only. I have been out of the loop for a week as I had a family emergency but at this point the last call to Abode lasted almost an hour and that was last Tuesday night 11/5!! I have not called back because I am sick of talking to people who are unable to resolve my issue. Even asked for a manager to just get me a permanent serial number so that I could use the software but apparently that "does not exist" anymore. If so then why does the application ask me for it.

Chad -- I tried your options, my ideas and tech support and nothing works.

I am just plain tired of this crap and if there was another viable option I would ditch After Effects for good. The only option I have is to stop giving Adobe my money and use CS6 which is what will happen when I have time to take care of it. I sincerely hope enough people have issues with this and the CC is abandoned all together. Then we can have discs/downloads and software that works.

Ok seriously Adobe can go fuck themselves!

now they are bundling McAfee antivirus with flash updates?

So not only do they fukin let loose a database of passwords they also decide to bundle crapware...?!?! didn't even ask.. or give me an option to no install it. Had to ctrl+alt+del the thing...

maybe corel I remember i used to like them back in the day..

this is just ridiculous!

[edit]: after some research. if you download the update from the website, you can pick if you want the installed with mcaffee or not. BUT if you just hit updated when flashplayer prompts you to ( when you boot up), then it downloads mcaffee and doesn't say anything.

Edited by vozzz

Btw, got a letter (as in paper in the tin mail box) yesterday from Adobe.

Says something about they had a password theft - a month ago - .

Anyone heard anything about that ? :)

No action taken by them instead I should contact -them- if something

happens to my account…..

Now when the shit has hit the fan, I can only see that non informative

letter as some sort of a legal insurance for them.

Oh, by the way, is that CEO of theirs still in charge? ……….

I got a paper letter from Adobe yesterday too. It was from Adobe Ireland....I'm in New Zealand, as in, the other side of the planet.

If that was supposed to reassure me that Adobe are on top of the problem...well, it didn't.