Sign in to follow this  
jblessing

AE CC/C4D R15 - Anyone using them full time yet?

So after paying for CC for months now, is anyone using these latest versions regularly? I've tried on a couple projects and had various issues that have made me go back to CS6/R14.

The only CC app I regularly use now is Illustrator. How sad is that? Yes, PS and Encoder are growing on me, but I'm not using anything in CC that wasn't in CS6 in those apps.

AE CC makes me choose between importing/using/rendering QTs and using my external (via internal AJA card) monitor. C4D's team render (more specifically it's lack of a good render queue) prevents us from using R15. Yes, I'm on a 2010 Mac Pro and have the limitations (no nvidia, etc) that come with that. So maybe if you are on newer hardware you are seeing more advantages? maybe?

Are guys on PCs having any better luck?

We got CS6 off our machines some time ago, and have been 100% CC for maybe a little over a month across 7 vastly different projects with absolutely no issues to report.

R15 on the other hand.... We just got that rolled out across the office mid last week. Due to the small hard drives on the render farm machines, I had to completely uninstall R14 so there was room for the update. I'm trying to fight through it, maybe figure out and adopt a new workflow until there is a queue, but if we get a C4D project in that involves multiple 3d shots and versions of those shots, we may need to roll back. There is no way we can use R15 for the more complex, multi-shot projects. Other than the render farm woes, there are no issues to report.

Titans and 680s perform very well in both packages.

With a good supported GPU, dedicated 6Gbps SSD cache drive on Sata III, and a fast array to work from (we work off a 10GBE NAS), it is butter. I understand there are reasons beyond my comprehension as to why, but AE still only uses about 10% of available processing power to render. But to your question I'd say its safe to switch over to CC. Well... for PCs anyway. I can't say one way or the other for Macs. Once, I tried installing CC on a mac and it was complaining about being an old OS. Wasn't my machine so I didn't go further.

That AJA / QT thing sounds weird.... I recently visited a shop that had old AJA hardware in there and we couldn't get it to work right. Frame rate / resolution issues - not the QT issues you are describing. We ended up pulling a Blackmagic card from a PC at our office and threw it into the mac there which fixed everything. I don't know what you are trying to pump through the AJA, but you can get a little blackmagic intensity pro for under $200 if you are trying to just throw the image up on a monitor over HDMI. I have witnessed the external usb3 / thunderbolt versions cause BSODs on Windows, so I can only vouch for the internal PCIe ones. We have 3 different workstations connected to monitors with Blackmagic + AE CC and they work fine, QTs and all.

EDIT* I just remembered a little thing I have been experiencing in PS CC where brushes seem to paint on a little "dirty" or splotchy. I haven't looked into it though and could be something simple.

Edited by AromaKat

AE CC is mostly irrelevant to me. Too many bugs and most of the "new" features at this point are irrelevant to the work we do just like CS6. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but perhaps with the fixes in the 12.1 update it might finally be usable. Still using CS5.5 for the bulk of our work otherwise. Media Encoder CC also seems to have a mind of its own and does some weird stuff to your settings, so whenever we have to encode files for clients we use AME CS6 or free tools based on ffmpeg. C4D R15 is pretty underwhelming and I'm using modo for polygonal modeling, anyway, so I'm not in a rush to migrate my workflows to the new version either. If at all I might do so when starting new projects at the beginning of next year, but for now I'll play it safe and keep working in its predecessor. Can't say much about long-term stability, but since we use Avid on our edit systems, our options to make AE play nice are limited. Adobe doesn't seem to care, anyway, nor does Avid. The workarounds you have to use are not sexy.

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium

I use Adobe CC - Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, Illustrator for everything now. I do a lot of dynamic linking from AE to Premiere, and CC seems to be the first version I can send all my Premiere files and AE files to the client, and have them actually be able to re-link the dynamic AE compositions. It didn't seem to work in CS6, so projects would become unusable by the client. I still use CS6 in a lot of cases however, because I still have a number of clients that still want DVD delivery, and Adobe killed Encore in CC. There have been a couple of times where I have needed to call up a project that has been linked from Encore to Premiere, so I keep those CS6 versions installed...hopefully soon will be the day I don't have to buy DVD stock anymore.

I also use C4D R15, and have a small render farm of about 6 computers in my basement that chew through rendering with team render when I need it. Works fine for me, however I am not an absolute 3D power user, nor do I have a 3D workflow with anyone else.

-Spunj

Has anyone else had issues with the aec plugin in Adobe AE CC? I can't seem to import a multi-pass scene. Mind you this is the first time I'm really using CC instead of CS6. I do have the plugin in the plugins folder of AE. I don't want to mess with Cineware on this project.

Edited by Mograph Candy

Has anyone else had issues with the aec plugin in Adobe AE CC? I can't seem to import a multi-pass scene. Mind you this is the first time I'm really using CC instead of CS6. I do have the plugin in the plugins folder of AE. I don't want to mess with Cineware on this project.

Yes and no. Leave to cineware folder alone and place the aec plugin at the root of your plugins folder. It gives an error at startup but still works. (PC)

Edited by AromaKat

Everything works fine for me. One issue I have found though and I think Maxon is addressing is problems with Xref's and rendering with Team Render. I even had a render farm give me issues, but you'd think Maxon's own render farm solution would be compatible with it's own XRef system.

For the render farm, I had to make all Xref's editable objects, basically removing all XRef functionality and just making it a normal object.

For Team Render, I tried rendering as a generator and that didn't work, gave me a texture error. Meanwhile if i rendered normally, I was given no texture errors and the render came out just fine.

So all in all, issues you could find with R15 are TeamRender, and with CC is Cineware with certain features not being supported such as Sketch & Toon, Cel Shader to name a couple of things.

In my opinion, CC is worth the upgrade just for the small but soon to be heavily used workflow enhancements that will come out in 12.1. Adobe has lived up to it's promise of their team now being able to spend time on these smaller features and pushing out updates every few months rather than big new features that I feel many people don't use much.