Sign in to follow this  
nusferatu

page turn / magazine

Hi there guys,

I'm doing a page turn so I can animate a magazine opening.

I use 2 methods one was

- Mike the monkey method, and I manage to do a page turn, with the cloth method, but how can I add a more pages, to give a look of a magazine?

- The other one was with bones and IK spline

And both methods I manage to do a turn page, but now how can I add more pages to look like a magazine, and how can I add material to each page?

But I need the page turn with the size 2599 x 3366px, how can I do it?

I try Mike the monkey method and do not work, the page is to heavy and with the Bones and the IK spline I don't have a way to measure it.

I will add all the 3 projects to the post so you see if you can help me or not

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6oqSR4QfP6nNGVuZ0lhN2dQUms&usp=sharing

Cheers

I did a spot a while back centered around a pop-up book (you can see it here). Not quite the same as a magazine but similar in that I had to control many turning pages with changing textures, etc. I will tell you it was one of the most technically complex projects I have ever done, but that's mainly due to the rig I built for it. I knew my client for that particular project happened to be very indecisive, inexperienced and a bit clueless, so I knew changes would be rampant and had to account for that. Anyway, at the heart of it is basic bend deformers on planes. That's pretty much it. Each page had two bend deformers: one near the spine of the book to actually turn the page and another near the end of the page to provide counter movement and a more natural bend/flow. I'm not sure what level of realism you're going for, so this may not be the best solution for you since it's not going to give the most natural-looking results, but it's fast and with a little Xpresso it's easy to control and very predictable.

For realism, I'd go with Mike's solution with the cloth and find a way to make that work. If I remember right he was demoing a plugin that made it easy to change textures on the pages, which would be super useful depending on how many pages you have to deal with.

R

I believe Mike started out with a cloth sim page turn, but wound up going the bend deformer route, mixed in with Cloner object and effectors to randomize the look of the turning pages. He had a neat little trick of making a page from the back disappear from the turning side and appear on the landing side to make it look like the thickness of the magazine was changing as the pages turned. That should be in the same video where he was explaining his cloth sim solution.

That other thing about texturing pages was a plugin for C4D called PlaneSmart. In fact, I think it's in that very video where he talks a little about his page turn experiences.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I manage to keep it working, but the the step effector is not working at all, remove the tick from the scale and add 10 frames to the time ofset, and the efector is on the cloner effectors.

I cache point the page turn, and update the xref in the main scene, but no delay on the pages

Any suggestions?

Cheers

There's a 1000 ways to do this. I've down it with cloth, with a plane and a bend deformer. With a Cloner object and a spline Effector. You can also use planes, and an Align to Spline Tag. It depends on what you need the book to do, and how many pages you need.