Sign in to follow this  
Zickar

Building a personal website

Aplogies in advance if this belongs somewhere else .

I need some advice on building a personal website that has a mixture of tutorials , my work , a blog and a place to sell some stuff like models .

Is this something you need a developer for ? Or can it be a personal project ? In which case what kind of preparations is needed ? What kind of knowledge is needed ?

I'm hoping to get some advice from people who have their own websites . How much did it cost them ? How did they do it ? What are the steps they took towards that ?

Edited by Zickar

His site is right there in his signature!

I also use square space actually, I prefer an easy life... I'm not even sure you need to buy a domain separately any more. And it does have ecommerce as an extra but only in the US if I remember, you'll have to check.

Since it changed to squarespace 6 which is very template based, you actually don't have a massive amount of control even if you do code (which I don't) but it might be a hell of a lot cheaper to pay someone to implement some design ideas into a template like that than to start from scratch.

Cheers Matt

You can design exactly what you want in Photoshop then pass the PSD along to a developer. If you get a developer from India, you could get the site done with a back-end admin panel to update content for between $500-$800.

Just make sure you get someone who is capable of working with PSDs.

I personally stay away from all of the wordpress, joomla, etc stuff out there and get everything custom coded. If want the ability to add new functionality its the only choice.

Hosting at Dreamhost is super cheap, as is a domain registration.

I can refer you to the guy I use if you want.

Edited by AromaKat

@aromakat thanks for the reply , its kins of the details I was looking for , I have a few questions though . After the site is up and running what kind of control does the developer maintain ? Does he have the same control as I do ? Could he in a worst case scenario interfere with money transactions through my website for example ?

Do you have a link to your site because I'm on the mobile version of the site and your site isn't showing

ive recently been looking at wordpress themes, need to re-build my website. and their are a lot of REALLY amazing ones.

like this one: http://themeforest.net/item/enfold-responsive-multipurpose-theme/4519990

it has sooo much customization. has an eshop, great gallery. really lots of stuff.

haven't tried it myself yet. need to make a new reel first. =)

you're gonna have a hard time selling your stuff without paypal. take a trip to europe and open a bank account somewhere with paypal support. use wiretranfers/internet banking, visa/mastercard.

Yeah that is what kind of kept me from a lot of market places ... its quite a conondrum . They said Lebanon is the next country on the list , I think in 2014 it will be supported but isn't there a wsy to sell stuff using visa/master card ... that is a direct transaction to a bank account

I'm surprised no one has mention Cargo Collective. I'm not sure if Cargo will provide everything you need with a blog and what not but it's easy as hell to edit and they already have some awesome templates.

Yeah but I'm trying to stay away from template based sites , I mean they serve well up to some point but eventually youa would need your site to do more stuff for you and its better to start off with your own site than switch to it latee

you can sell with visa/mastercard. but people are much less likely to use that to purchase from you. (most people generally try to minimize use of credit card on the net).

maybe find a partner who can help you with paypal and bank transfers.

shoot me an email, tell me about your plan, maybe i can help you out.

@aromakat thanks for the reply , its kins of the details I was looking for , I have a few questions though . After the site is up and running what kind of control does the developer maintain ? Does he have the same control as I do ? Could he in a worst case scenario interfere with money transactions through my website for example ?

Do you have a link to your site because I'm on the mobile version of the site and your site isn't showing

The developer always holds the 'master keys', and can change anything - EXCEPT - transactions since they will be using an API to access a third party service.

After the site is done and migrated over to your own server and fully tested, change the passwords for everything so you don't have to worry about that. Also, reguarly backup your site and database becuase havkers are the biggest problem. They just like to deface stuff. I reccomend sitevault

For transactions, I used to use a merchant account through my bank but since I don't process that many transactions on there, the fee structure made more sense for me using Stripe which pays out to your bank on a rolling week basis. I don't know about Lebanon though... Just look up what type of web 'merchant account' or credit card transaction accounts you can use. Regular paypal is super expensive.

If you would like, shoot me a PM. We will schedule a time for us to skype or google chat so I can walk you through my sites to show what a backend would be like using my method.

Edited by AromaKat