Sign in to follow this  
zach b

Being a styleframes artist/looking for a new career path

Hi guys I was hoping for a little advice from the mograph community. I like doing animation and mograph work but I've been trying to be honest with myself lately and I just don't think my heart is in it to just continue with that as my career. What I'm realizing is that what I really like to do is develop styles, designs and a "look" for a show or client. So basically what I'm asking is how does one go about being a style frames artist?. Do companies hire people just to do frames? How can one sell themselves as an artist who just does boards?

Thanks for indulging my ignorance and hopefully you guys have some advice

Please ignore the typos I'm writing this on my ipad.

Thanks

Zach

I don't know if being a full time style frame artist would produce enough consistent work, but I'd be interested to hear what others have to say. I have certainly been hired to design style frames with no further commitment, but there's usually (not always) the understanding that I'd be animating my designs should they be selected. One option that comes to mind is for you to team up with an animator or several animators that want to concentrate on the technical/ animation portion of projects and wouldn't mind handing off the conceptual/ style frame work to someone else.