Sign in to follow this  
T.D.Atlantis

New PC Setup

Hey guys,

i wanna upgrade my pc and use my "old parts" as a render pc. Here is the setup i thought about to buy.

Intel Core i7-4930K 6x3.4GHz 12MB-L3 Turbo/HT Sock2011 (IvyBridge-E) BOX
dazu: Noctua NH-D14 CPU Kühler (Sockel 775/1156/1366/AMD/AM2/AM2+/AM3)

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3-1600 CL10

Mainboard: ASUS P9X79 PRO

Already got:

GFX: Nvidia GTX 660

Case: CMSTORM Scout 2 Advanced

What power suply do you recommed? And what do you think about the setup?

The pc should also be able to play some games!

Regards!

I actually just built this same thing basically. Same motherboard and processor anyway. I am using it as a render station myself as my Mac Pro is my main workstation. It's great! Love that processor. I initially got a Corsair 850 Watt power supply that ended up being bad out of the box. I swapped it out for a Cooler Master 1000 Watt power supply. It's totally overkill for that setup but I'd rather have more power for future upgrades. You could likely get away with much less.

R

second the 850 watt supply but get at least 32gig of ram now and you will love it

If you can upgrade to the WS (workstation) version of the motherboard I would alos recommend it.

Interesting thread, i am thinking about building a windows box to supplement my mac pro due to a couple of factors, one i need an octane box which won't tie up my primary workstation while its rendering, two, i would like something to help with team render, v-ray 1.8 and modo as i do a lot of animation and stills. My research suggests having extra grunt locally seems a less stressful option than ec2 which would only really be useful for animation unless you spent time setting up a mini network on ec2...which would be a chore

SO my question is why not have a dual core system to max render threads or is the cost increase not worth it?

Edited by creativebloke

check out cinebench scores to compare power/$. best bang for buck remains i5 as far as i see. building two i5 boxes is often cheaper and gets you more power than going for the top of the range i7's.

especially now with teamrender. where you can do test renders with multiple computers, that is just wonderful in my opinion.

but for rendering animations, farm/ec2 i think is a better option.

has anyone set up and EC2 farm successfully? and would they like to share their experience? If i vpn into it, can i use their servers for team render with my computer at home as a server?

and 90c/hour for an 8 core, seems like a really sweet deal. And you can boot up like 50 of them for an hour, which will chew threw a tonne of work.

check out cinebench scores to compare power/$. best bang for buck remains i5 as far as i see. building two i5 boxes is often cheaper and gets you more power than going for the top of the range i7's.

especially now with teamrender. where you can do test renders with multiple computers, that is just wonderful in my opinion.

but for rendering animations, farm/ec2 i think is a better option.

has anyone set up and EC2 farm successfully? and would they like to share their experience? If i vpn into it, can i use their servers for team render with my computer at home as a server?

and 90c/hour for an 8 core, seems like a really sweet deal. And you can boot up like 50 of them for an hour, which will chew threw a tonne of work.

I have been doing a lot of research on ec2, and yes people have setup a farm, and have used Team render on it, with one if the ec2 instances running the job rather than use your local machines, the issue I have with it is that can take a couple of hours to setup instances etc, its not immediate, admittedly I am in the early days of playing with it though.

but surely its just the inital set up that takes hours? then you can just boot up the images of the nodes?

im interested in using my local machine as the server, so i can do test renders faster. When playing settings and experimenting with render settings and so on.

but surely its just the inital set up that takes hours? then you can just boot up the images of the nodes?

im interested in using my local machine as the server, so i can do test renders faster. When playing settings and experimenting with render settings and so on.

As I said its early days, so you could well be right, the issue could be with having to switch from designer head to sysadmin head. I am not saying its not an option, but aside from the bare rental cost you also really need to factor in your cost in lost design time setting it up and getting the assets to it which is another bandwidth cost. While on paper it looks cheap, you really need to think of these hidden cost when putting it up against the cost of buying additional computers in house. I have found that with team render, i am willing to throw a lot more to experimenting and chucking out more passes than i would, which then has a benefit to my clients as i am producing more work. With TR it literally is one click and your off, rather than even 5-10 minutes setting up a stored ec2 instance...

I got an EC2 farm to work. Its not the easiest thing in the world to do. Also, the more nodes you turn on, the longer it takes to upload your scene. (your in-house server has to upload all textures, etc to each cow). But yes, once you have made your base image you just launch the rest from there. As long as you have a static IP, thats it. I don't see how team render can support the practice though.

DO NOT FORGET TO TURN THEM OFF!!!!

It sounds cheap, but you can easily owe thousands if you do something as stupid as forgetting to turn them off. Even if you leave the primary instance on it can get to be a good chunk of change.

Vozz, 90 cents per hour for a 8 core is expensive. Use the northern Virginia data center. Its .48 cents per hour for a 16 core.

Expect the time it takes to set up, test, etc to cost around $200-$300.

--------------------

Back to the original topic... You don't need much at all for a render cow. Processor, minimal ram, and a motherboard. The fact that you want it to be a gaming machine as well throws a huge wrench in the mix. In that instance, just build a gaming rig that happens to render.

But for just a dumb render cow, get the fastest proc you can, keep it cool, and thats it. You could probably get away with 4 gigs of ram but go with 8 to be safe. No graphics card necessary. If on a mini ITX motherboard, and no graphics card, you will only need 200 watts. If you have to pay the power bill and are building out a render farm, power definitely comes into play. There is also the fact that too many 1k PSUs will pop your power breaker. I'd keep the big PSUs for the workstations that need graphics cards, multiple drives, external components etc.

Also.. if you have these machines in close proximity and are sharing a power drop (multiple outlets can be and are often on the same drop), you will want everything on a power conditioner. I have blown through many, many, many PSUs on our 5 render cows over 2 years before figuring out that so much power draw was causing irregularities in the array, causing them to blow. A battery backup will also serve as a power conditioner.

Hey guys,

so in 1 week i will buy all my things! Now the last question.

I will upgrade this setup to 32 GB! Now there is the option between

32GB (4x8GB) Kingston HyperX Beast XMP DDR3-2133 CL11 (11-12-11-27) - 356€

and

32GB (4x8GB) Kingston HyperX Beast XMP DDR3-1600 CL9 (9-9-9-27) - 343€

Is it better to have 2133 CL11 RAM?? Should i choose Corsair? Thanks for the help! :)