Sign in to follow this  
sebastienlavoie

New Script: Hyle, a new way to create & share After Effects content.

Hey guys, I am kinda new here but I thought it was worth sharing. I have created an After Effects script and I would like to have your feedback about it.

The script is called Hyle, you can get more informations here: http://hyle.io. It allows you to generate content from a simple and understandable text syntax and aims at giving you a way to interact with After Effects from a data-first perspective. This can be useful in many ways since it gives you the opportunity of bypassing the interface to avoid repetitive tasks.

I'd really like to know what you guys think about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyfU0DFtMuY

See it on aescripts: http://aescripts.com/hyle/

Edited by sebastienlavoie

I think I speak for my reptilian brain when I say, "HNNNNGGG."

...and then thrash about on the floor for a little while drooling and sweating, yet somehow also managing to enter my credit card information in the process.

This is pretty awesome!

The only thing that jumped out at me watching your demo is that I would much prefer to express time in frames rather than seconds, it would be much quicker and more intuitive.

But that is just being picky. My hat is off to you sir.

Glad to know you guys like it! :D

This is pretty awesome!

The only thing that jumped out at me watching your demo is that I would much prefer to express time in frames rather than seconds, it would be much quicker and more intuitive.

But that is just being picky. My hat is off to you sir.

About the keyframes vs seconds, I thought about it and the reason I decided to use seconds was to make it frame rate agnostic. For example you used an effect one second long in a 24 fps comp and want to reuse it or share it to somebody which uses 30 fps, using seconds would still apply it right but not frames. Although I will keep that suggestion in mind and I will try to add a way to force the use of frames instead of seconds.

Pretty cool. A nice update to it would be a way to save a script and pick from a list of saved ones right within AE.

Thanks for the suggestion! I know the UI is really basic right now, it will be updated as the script improves. I will probably add a list/searchbox as we have in the effects and presets panel and I will try implement shortcuts for the ones you have "favorited".

It's interesting, though honestly I would prefer it already had the "generate" feature from the start. Since most of the stuff I do evolves as I go along, it seems convoluted having to rebuild it twice just so one could potentially re-use it later...

Mylenium

It's interesting, though honestly I would prefer it already had the "generate" feature from the start. Since most of the stuff I do evolves as I go along, it seems convoluted having to rebuild it twice just so one could potentially re-use it later...

Mylenium

I thought about releasing everything at the same time, but I preferred going slowly and releasing only this part to test and improve the core. This is coming tho!

I'm just curious how others are planning on using this. It may spark a few ideas.

For me, since we do final conforms / onlines from AE, I am aiming to devise a method to take the master project and piece out generic, textless, etc comps with appropriate slates. I had been using the spreadsheet to comp if we are doing an insane number of DR versions, but for less than 20 or 30 versions it makes more sense to just do it manually. I am thinking that with this, the process would be much faster and easier no matter the number of outputs, and I wouldn't need to spend so much time in excel.

*edited a spelling error

Edited by AromaKat

Now that this script has been out for a while...

How are people using it?

I like to keep informed about utilities like this that really help with people's work, and I'm just curious if folks who have looked into this would recommend it. (...and, if so, what for?)