Sign in to follow this  
boy.finley

What's the verdict on Mavericks?

So far so good here, just make sure you have the latest AE updates that are Mavericks specific. I haven't noticed the increased responsiveness that some people are reporting but everything is working as well as it did before the update.

So far, no issues.

Mavericks enables you to really get your point across on message boards. ;)

No problems over here either, although I'm not sure I like the whole not being able to hit spacebar and preview animation files with Quicktime.

Dual Monitors have been quite finicky for me.

Application bars don't seem to like to always stay on the right application and I have some minimal issues with regards to hiding and fast switching.

What the hell happens to animation files now?

QT7 = opens as usual

QTX = 'converts' to something (I didn't even save it to check what yet) then plays fine

Spacebar = No preview, displays as a 0kb mov file when you try.

It's perculiar considering Animation codec (possibly due to alphabetical reasons) is the default for QT exports out of AE and C4D QT previews. I rarely use Animation anyway but it just so happened to be one of the first types of file I tried to open on my trial run Mavericks on my laptop.

Waited a while before installing it on my Mac Pro but I really want the dock and menu bar across all my screens (monitor, Cintiq, TV)

Dual Monitors have been quite finicky for me.

Application bars don't seem to like to always stay on the right application and I have some minimal issues with regards to hiding and fast switching.

I have noticed this a bit where when my second monitor is off if I got to use shift tab the prompt is still on the other display which is off. I found that if you go to your displays section of settings and reset the master display itll fix the issue.

Forgive my ignorance but what is this purge function you speak of!?

I started getting huge memory leak issues in Snow Whatever the Last Cat Was. My Kernal Task would bloat up, taking up over 50% of my RAM just sitting there. The Purge command purges your RAM and kills unneccessary processes. It was just "purge" but now it's "sudo purge" and requires your admin password.

FYI: you don't ever want to be installing a new OS over an existing one.

Always do a clean install.

This is something I've heard computer jerks/nerds say for years (decades) and I've never had problems with Mac OS or Windows when installing a new one over another. What's the problem?

Just heard there's some issues with Mocha and Nuke that corrupt files? Don't have a ton in specifics, just heard the rumblings at the studio I'm working at. Someone's working roto in Snow Leopard, and the comp in Nuke on Mavericks was creating corrupted files I believe? They're just rendering mattes to workaround.

Note has been sent to imagineer, be aware in the meantime!

Edited by planetfour