Sign in to follow this  
boy.finley

What's the verdict on Mavericks?

I've done a fair amount of QT7 exports in Mavericks (mostly x264) without any issues.

perfect. x264 is what I mainly use as my export codec. cheers.

Edited by hyp

Just a heads up to the fact that I, and a few others on the Wacom forum, are experiencing pretty bad lag with my Wacom when CPU usage is high, eg. C4D rendering. The cursor is fine with the mouse but very laggy with the Intuous 4.

No issues so far with R15 or AE CC (Intuos 3 recent driver from about 3 weeks ago).

My understanding is Apple (with the the new Mac Pros coming and their Open CL / dual GPU architecture) may be updating the OS soon to incorporate Open CL 2.0, which was just ratified a week or so ago as a final specification. That said I don't think C4D has any Open CL specific features yet, but hopefully "build it and they will come".

Edited by Zmotive

Quick Look is a monumental time saver when it comes to looking through video files, so that codec snobbishness is a real bitch. I've seen no significant benefit to the upgrade, and on the downside, some apps are busted, the Finder sometimes decides not to display folder contents, and I've had the first system crash ever on this MbPro. Could be worse, but I'm thinkin real hard about restoring to my pre-upgrade backup until this version is nice and smoothed out.

Just a heads up to the fact that I, and a few others on the Wacom forum, are experiencing pretty bad lag with my Wacom when CPU usage is high, eg. C4D rendering. The cursor is fine with the mouse but very laggy with the Intuous 4.

I'll echo this. Pretty annoying.

Has anyone figured out a fix to get Animation codec QTs to work in Quick Look?

I missed this when i posted the other day but Quick Look has been the one major problem I've had with Mavericks. Any kind of video that I try to preview is noticeably slower than in 10.8, and some videos are force-converted to a new format before being previewed, so that all told the preview literally takes like 3 minutes. Longer if it's a long clip. I have stopped using QuickLook for anything that isn't a simple text document or flat 8 bit image file.

One thing I've noticed and I'm not sure if this is a Mavericks issue or a AECC issue but now whenever I work in AE, it uses up all of my available RAM. I'm talking 9 gigs of RAM for a project with just two layers and two effects. I asked on the Adobe forums but no one was of much help and I'm not really sure what to do. It's pretty annoying.