Sign in to follow this  
CyanSeaHorse

MAX to C4D

Hey guys,

This is probably a simple question but here goes:

The station I work for has had its redesign done by an agency who supplied me the logo in MAX format. The problem is that I use C4D (and AE with element3D).

Should I:

A: Download and install a trial of 3ds max, open and export the files to OBJ (is it possible?) ?

B: Ask someone who has 3ds max to export the files for me?

C: Give up and redesign it myself in C4D (its only an extruded helvetica font, 3 basic colors and simple shading as far as I can see. But I'm pretty new to materials etc and i'd probably have to tinker quite a bit to achieve the same shading... see screenshot)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated,

Cheers!

Screen_Shot_2013_11_15_at_10_12_42_AM.pn

Hey there -- As far as I know all versions of cinema open 3DS files but have not done it in a while so not sure how well a max material would come across into cinema. There are two options that I would try and that includes downloading the trial of MAX. If this is a station (assuming news or something like that) what do they generally work in. If its a C4D based environment, then it would be pretty useful to try to get what you can out of MAX and then rebuild based on that. This way you have your materials and all in a familiar package. If the station mostly uses MAX, then you can either rebuild, or actually bring your logo into C4D and then do your camera work, take that into MAX and render from there. Guess it really depends on what you need to do with it.

I have worked with a few MAX animators over the years, and as I recall we had the most luck having them export .FBX files for import into Cinema 4D. I haven't tried a 3ds import with R15; has it been improved? I have usually been able to bring in models that way, but textures often don't come through correctly, and there's often geometry weirdness.

As far as i know, fbx is the way to go. I usually use it as it can keep quad polys and uw maps + animations. You might have to convert the default Z axis to Y, but i guess this can be set up in the export panel along with a bunch of other options. Pretty neat.

I tried obj's in the past, but that didn't keep any textures or material uw's and had some weird artifacts when booles were used on the geometry. Object pivots are usually set to 0,0,0 which can be a bummer if animation is involved.

3ds does work, but it converts quad poly's to tri's and has a limit of 64k poly per object. Also, it seems 3ds can export materials at a certain degree, but only works with native max and not vray mats. When exporting textures, it usually messes up the texture names, so you'd have to manually replace them.

if thats all it is you migtht as well re-do it. the materials will only transfer color and texture maps. the environment which plays a large role int he look of this probably wont transfer in the same way.

from the question "should i download the demo" im guessing the studio doesnt use max.

Thanks for all the replies, I've managed to recreate the model but am having some problems matching the materials.

I'm a super noob when it comes to texturing, but maybe you guys can see a few properties by looking at the image I posted originally.

What do you think are the settings for the materials?

I think Destro was referring to the fresnel in the reflection channel. It's looking white and washed out because you're missing the gradient Vozz is talking about in the color channel and what it's reflecting is 1) too bright (looks to be just an all white sky environment) and 2) too reflective. I'd first get the proper environment in there - it looks like maybe they were using an image to generate an environment to reflect but you could probably recreate a close approximation. Then I'd dial down the maximum reflectivity (white knot) in your fresnel shader based on the brightness of your environment image to get it looking right.

It also looks to me like there is a gentle curve to the extruded sides of the letters where yours are linear.

The good news is that by redoing it in C4D you are losing that gnarly faceting on the bottom of the "g".

R