Sign in to follow this  
dpi

Upscaling an SD AE project to HD (mostly vector based)

Hi Mograph,

I am trying to find the solution to upscaling an old AE project for a client - without having to animate the whole project again.

How should i upscale? Can it be done with an adjustment layer or by simply making a new HD composition an re-sizing?

Thanks in advance,

dpi

Edited by dpi

Footage items won't scale nicely, but continually rasterize all of your PreComps and layers that matter, hoping nothing breaks. Everything that can scale, will scale, but keep an eye out for some oddities that may arise from that pesky asterisk. If something comes up, you will just need to noodle things a bit to work proper. You will find comps that use 3d layers to be the most troubling, in which case a 3d break adjustment layer may help.

Footage items won't scale nicely, but continually rasterize all of your PreComps and layers that matter, hoping nothing breaks. Everything that can scale, will scale, but keep an eye out for some oddities that may arise from that pesky asterisk. If something comes up, you will just need to noodle things a bit to work proper. You will find comps that use 3d layers to be the most troubling, in which case a 3d break adjustment layer may help.

Thanks for taking time to reply. I will reply to let you know how it goes!

A technique I've used before that can sometimes avoid some of the mishaps of simply scaling/ continuously rasterizing the whole comp: Make a copy of your original "final" comp. In that comp, create a null object and call it "scaler". Parent every layer that doesn't already have a parent to the "scaler" null. Check to make sure everything still animates correctly. Now change the dimensions of the comp to the new output resolution. Scale up the "scaler" null approriately. One nice thing about this approach is that you can still adjust individual layers to accommodate different aspect ratios, etc. This works well when going from SD 4x3 to HD 16x9 for example.

There are still plenty of situations where this won't get you 100% of what you need, but it's certainly worth a try if scaling/ continuously rasterizing your final comp is causing problems.

A technique I've used before that can sometimes avoid some of the mishaps of simply scaling/ continuously rasterizing the whole comp: Make a copy of your original "final" comp. In that comp, create a null object and call it "scaler". Parent every layer that doesn't already have a parent to the "scaler" null. Check to make sure everything still animates correctly. Now change the dimensions of the comp to the new output resolution. Scale up the "scaler" null approriately. One nice thing about this approach is that you can still adjust individual layers to accommodate different aspect ratios, etc. This works well when going from SD 4x3 to HD 16x9 for example.

There are still plenty of situations where this won't get you 100% of what you need, but it's certainly worth a try if scaling/ continuously rasterizing your final comp is causing problems.

this, i use this technique often and hasnt failed me yet.

a little added tip i also do is when i make the null object, i change the null size to the comp size, then i parent the correct layers, change comp resolution, then cmd-alt-f the null for "scale to fit"

There is a script called Scale Composition - I think it comes with AE standard install. Works well for Vectors but all solids and bitmaps become 200% scale so often need swapping and un-scaling.