Sign in to follow this  
dotcommer

cutting out hand-drawn characters (AE)

So here's a head-scratcher for you guys:

I'm working on a project that involves traditional hand-drawn animation. I get a ton of scanned frames from the animator, and now I need to figure out a way to isolate each of these drawings. For the most part they have solid lines, but when it comes to hair, it tends to be a little bit loose and free using some of the negative space to imply thickness to the hair. Do any of you have any suggestions for making quick work of isolating hand-drawn animation? Its all just black and white. I first thought a key would do it, but then quickly realized the inside of the drawing is the same color as the background, so that was out. Then one artist on my team thought maybe throwing it into photoshop as a layer stack and tackling it with the magic wand tool. I've started messing with the rotobrush tool to see if I can get it faster and keep it in the AE environment. If anyone out there has any other suggestions, I'm all ears! Thanks!

I don't think there's a one click solution. I would suggest you try in psd.

Use the magic wand and then use Refine Edge to get a nice clean selection.

1. Apply the selection as a layer mask (icon in bottom of layers palette). That will isolate just the black lines.

2. To add the inside space to your mask, select the mask in the layers palette - and use the polygonal lasso tool to click select roughly around your inside area... and then flood fill with alt backspace to add to the mask.

You can view the mask and paint it by hand by alt clicking on the mask in layers palette to view it in black and white

Good luck, I would also love to hear if there is a faster way!

I tackled exactly the same kind of project and used the paint bucket in AE to act like the magic wand in photoshop (filled and then used stencil alpha so it was subtracting from the image), the advantage is you don't need to export all your frames so you can make tweaks after. The other reason is unfortunately we did need to do some roto to clean things up (especially with hair and parts where the lines were more sketchy) so it was easier to keep everything in AE.

That being said as automated as we got the process it was still a hard slog to get through all the frames and there was no getting around a certain amount of roto for the really tricky bits.

Edited by anothername