Sign in to follow this  
bleepurchin

Alternative Hair Solution?

Hi there,

The first image shows a foot pressing into cloned polygon strips using the collision deformer. It's working fine, but because of the amount of polygons needed to get the detail in the foot shape it is making moving round the scene really slow.

I know I can use a flat plane and an image on it and deform that, but I need this to be made of splines because of the way the animation progresses...

I was wondering if this could be done using splines and hair as the render rather than using polygons. I've tried cloning a load of splines with hair material on them but the spline dynamics and hair collider tag only work with an individual splines it seems.... I've tried the hair object and attached hairs to strips but I need the hairs to be anchored at both ends. Is this possible? I'm not massively familiar with the hair system to be honest.

The 2 drawings show what needs to happen after the deformation. The white lines need to wrap round the foot completely and up the leg... so this requires more than a footprint...

I know that some trickery can be used here - such as the splines for the leg form out of know where... thats fine but the foot will need more thought. I was thinking of morphing from an initial spline state through a few intermediate states to the final foot shape using the pose morph tag. However because of the amount of splines needed this is going to be a really tough task! Any suggestions on an alternative solutions to this?

ScreenShot2013-12-18at102408_zpseca01741

feet1_zpsf23a74a9.jpg

Cheers,

Luke

oooh that's going to be a bugger, for example how are you going to get the rings to finish around the toe as it pushes through? However by the look of the boards all you need is a wired foot model?

If it was me and thankfully it isn't I would be looking at either modelling the foot wired (as a spline with a sweep object), then using a boolean or depth matte in AE or boolean to get the transition or using Form to see if I could get the effects using an OBJ sequence. The other option potentially is to use a detph or positon path with form or particular to get a similar effect...........

Hi,

Yeah the drawings don't really explain it... I need the splines to 'wrap' up and around the foot... making them 'mask' on with a boolean isn't an option I'm afraid. I can hide the reveal of the actually leg jus not the formation of the whole foot...