Sign in to follow this  
Xaltotun

Recruiters and headhunters for freelance work in NYC

I just recently moved from LA to the East Coast and I've been scouting out the freelance scene in NYC. It's obviously a busy place but since I have almost no connections and can't risk chasing paychecks at first I thought I'd try to work with recruiters while I build up contacts.

I've had pretty good experiences with a couple agencies in LA so do you guys know of any ones that are good local to NYC? Creative Circle was the usual suspect in LA, but I'm not sure what else is out there.

While I'm at it do any of you have advice for a mid level freelancer new to NYC?

first step put your reel and portfolio in your signature here.

I remember when i got to NYC i got job offers from just posting that im in NYC here on mograph.

Couldn't take em as didnt have a greencard and wasnt keen on doing a real full time gig, but that's life, right?

there is also an NYC mograph meetup, do a facebook search for em. Lots of people there, great place to make new contacts.

first step put your reel and portfolio in your signature here.

That's true, I might as well put my reel out there. I figure NYC mograph meetups would be a great resource for sure, I've made great connections just by showing up at LA meetups in the past. I'm a few hours outside of NYC until next month probably, but it'd be great to line up some short term jobs before I get there, if that's possible, so I can hit the ground running.

I feel you on not being able to take the NYC job offers. I'd been looking into the same kind of deal in Montreal, but the logistics of working as an out of country freelancer rather than an endorsed full-timer are daunting to say the least. I still don't even know if it's legally possible to do freelance work like that if you don't have specific jobs lined up beforehand.

Give this woman a try, her name is Ila Abramson and she runs http://www.ispyrecruiting.com/

She's contacted me many times in the past with gigs, but I've never had to use her to find work in NYC, thankfully.

From my contact with her, she seemed really responsive and has alot of clients to find work for you.

tomcat- I'm interested in a more elaborate response, if you have the time, on how you're experience in LA is compared to NYC.

And by "not a lot of class in the city", do you mean the shops you have been to are kinda shitty?

Edited by oeuf

Thanks Oeuf! I'll definitely get in touch, it sounds like she's what I'm looking for at the moment.

I'm curious too, Tomcat, I've heard people mention it's a different culture working in NYC but I don't really know any NYC freelancers so I'm curious why you think it's so much worse than LA?