Sign in to follow this  
armando07

Anybody Ever Started a Legit Mograph Studio???

I think our industry lends itself to safely starting a small business.

Work out of your house, with your own software, on your own computer. It's basically "You Incorporated"

However, how do you land a big local client?

How do you approach a local ad agency and ask to be considered next time they have an account that requires mograph?

How do you actually get your studio name out there in the community?

I think the answer is time. It just takes time to establish contacts, reputation and a base of work that will allow you to confidently approach local agencies/clients. This, of course, is predicated on where you live, your current book of contacts, references, work, etc. For instance, I have a group of friends that just launched a new studio in Richmond Virginia right after new years. Even though they are new as a company, the people that make up the company have been working in the area of many years and are already well-established so they have a good client base going into the business and they're doing quite well already. On the flip side, if you're a recently graduated student and you have little or no professional work under your belt you will have a long way to go before you can start approaching larger clients and expect to be taken seriously. There are always exceptions though. Just my $.02

R

I started a small mograph studio after a bunch of years freelancing.

And basically what RVA8 said is bang on. When you don't yet have a company reel or rep you are basically working off the rep, reel, and contacts of the companies founders.

Our first big clients were all from the trust I had built up working with people as a freelancer and I was able to get some of those people to be our first clients as a studio. After that it's all just about hustling for new business, doing the best work you can, and learning as much about business as you can.

It's definitely not for everyone, there is still a big leap between being a freelancer on your own and actually running a business with people working for you even if it's only a few people….but I absolutely love it and I am glad I took the plunge. Maybe some people blow up big quickly but for me so far a few years in it's all about slow and steady wins the race. Especially as someone who didn't really know a ton about business when I started it was great to start off with clients I already had a rapport with and build slowly but steadily on that learning from my mistakes as I went.

I honestly get clients in all kinds of different way, referrals, networking, cold calls. The first few are the hardest but the great thing is people in agencies, TV prodcos etc. move around a lot so if you work with a team and make a good impression a year later those people have scattered and now you have contacts at 5 different agencies and it just grows exponentially as you put in the time.

I always thought studios start when you get a job and you cant handle it on your own. so you hire some freelancers/friends. and bam you have a studio =)

i mean i thought it was something that comes out of necessity rather than " i want my own mograph studio"