Sign in to follow this  
mario5

HBO's True Detective - Main Title Sequence

nice. i was wondering when that fancy dual exposure look was going to be integrated into video/mograph. the juxtaposition combinations are limitless.

I think the double-exposure look had been used a few times in the past. There's this Morgan Stanley spot:

And I could have sworn that Prologue did something similar a while back too (though I could be mistaken).

To be clear: I am by no means screaming "rip off" or meaning to take away from the True Detective titles (which are absolutely lovely and I think do make unique use of the technique). Simply pointing out that this isn't the first instance of that nice dual exposure technique being used effectively. Beautiful titles though.

R

The ADBNE opening titles did the same, but used the puppet tool to make the image follow the contours of the body.

I'm not 100% sold on the execution, the tracking gets wonky at parts, but all in all I really like the result.

Edit: I just noticed its by the same studio that did the true detective spot. I guess they've found themselves a niche.

Edited by Spence

The ADBNE opening titles did the same, but used the puppet tool to make the image follow the contours of the body.

I'm not 100% sold on the execution, the tracking gets wonky at parts, but all in all I really like the result.

Looks like Breeder had a hand in both the ADBNE and True Detective opening titles.

Was curious after the show has aired now if people feel that sequence captured the vibe of the show.

In terms of design and mograph work I have no criticism it's beautiful top notch stuff, but when I look back at how intense and dark that series was I feel like this sequence maybe did not truly capture the vibe of the show.

I wonder if maybe when they did the titles they had not been able to see episodes or read the scripts, or maybe they were worried about scaring people away from the series.

I must admit although I found there to be a bit of a disconnect between the feel of the titles and the main show maybe that kind of easing into it was what was needed, maybe not going as dark and intense as the series was the right call.