Sign in to follow this  
CyanSeaHorse

Fraser Davidson - mind-blowing!

I'm sure some or a lot of you have come across the work of Fraser Davidson, it seems that every single piece of his has such incredible fluidity and really nice use of color.

His latest piece, took apparently 2 weeks to complete - I find this hard to believe, but its extremely inspirational nonetheless.

I find it takes me forever to do any character animation in AE, let alone anything nearly as technical as this:

I have a couple of questions for discussion if you're interested, some things in this piece sparked my curiosity.

+ Simple one I'm sure, but how does he always have such a good lens flare? And how does the flare react to the camera's position? (is it VC's optical flares plugin? I've never used it so not sure if it's that)

+ How to achieve such awesome use of textures? What kind of textures are giving it such a great look? Do you think they're track matted to each of the characters? At times it looks like it's just an adjustment layer but other times it seems like theres loads of texture layers.

+The camera fly-in at 00:36, I'm assuming there's a warp adjustment layer (like fish-eye or so) or is it key framing the camera's lens? Looks very well executed imo

Cheers!

wow that looks great!

just beautiful stuff!

Im gonna start picking this apart. I love this animation.

re: optical flares: yes, in 3d space, you have an actual location of the flare, so it will react to the camera automatically.

The lens flare and lens distortion on the fly-in is the easy part. Definitely is CC lens warp, has a very recognizable look. The flare motion you basically get for free when you animate a camera.

The hard part is just all that animation. A lot of elements could be re-used for multiple shots, especially all the stuff in the middle, but still, that is a ton of work and it's done really really well.

The flare motion you basically get for free when you animate a camera.

Alongside what? Optical flares? A light source? Can't be the AE standard lens flare since it's pretty much useless imo

The animation would have taken me forever and I still wouldn't have gotten it so smooth, how is it possible in just 2 weeks (apparently)?

The hard part is just all that animation. A lot of elements could be re-used for multiple shots, especially all the stuff in the middle, but still, that is a ton of work and it's done really really well.

Depends on how extensive his library of presets/ expressions is, i guess, but yeah, lots of tiny details. But then again already creating so many graphical elements would be pretty time-consuming as well.

Mylenium

Alongside what? Optical flares? A light source? Can't be the AE standard lens flare since it's pretty much useless imo

The animation would have taken me forever and I still wouldn't have gotten it so smooth, how is it possible in just 2 weeks (apparently)?

Probably used Knoll light factory or Video CoPilot Optical Flares, those are the popular ones. You can attach the flare position to an AE light (there's a script that converts a 3D position of a light to 2D X, Y coordinates for things like flares). Then as you animate the camera the flare will move correctly. Can even set up the scene in C4D, so you can see where the light source is in relation to your camera move, and export it all out into AE...

But honestly for this, you don't even need to do that. Just keyframe the position of the flare, it's not that hard.

How to do it in 2 weeks? You just have to be efficient and know what you're doing, I guess. I haven't done a lot of this type of motion graphics, but the little bit I have done is very time consuming. I guess if that's all you do, you learn the shortcuts and get really good at it. Like Mylenium said, having a library of pre-built shape layers or expressions, definitely helps.

Fraser's proven himself to be a serious workhorse after doing all those logos for SBNation in less than 2 months. Dude is a machine.

(for reference: http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/its_a_sports_nation_we_are_only_living_in_it.php )

edit: sorry, that closing bracket somehow got sucked into the URL. fixed it.

Edited by nightbus

The opening few seconds on his Everpix one is still my favorites. Great transitions and just enough bouncy overshoots to be charming without feeling overused or automated.

You can some reuse of elements in the football piece if you watch the Revolution stuff — but when it's this good it really doesn't matter as long as it's not hero elements.

Edited by willryan