Hey very nice stuff!

I don't think it needs to be quite as long as it is. Your work is strong, so you can def get away with longer than the 1 min rule but parts still feel slightly redundant (e.g. the viscous liquid/ice cream thing). I would take another stab at the edit and lose everything you're not in love with, and maybe the outro as well.

Also why does it embed in the world's tiniest resolution on your Behance page?

Hey Cosmo ray thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it!

I agree with you about the video length but I didn't know what was too much in it so I kept almost everything and just made some cuts!

next time i'll be more concise :)

I don't know about the resolution on behance but if you watch it on vimeo you can find a nice 720p version!

cheers

Good work, Dario.

I agree there's a bit of redundancy. Maybe you could combine one of the soccer league segments so that you're still showing the different techniques from that package, but in fewer clips? IMHO the soccer intro series and some of the dark, 2D-ish stuff towards the end stood out. I like the Oblivion-like "Eagle" clip too; has a nice minimalist look that goes with the retro-ish hardware.

Last but not least I think Cosmo may be onto something; I would nix the ice cream thing, if you decided to shorten it further by removing a clip.

Thanks Zmotive!

Right now I don't have much time to re-edit the reel but I really appreciate your comment and I keep it as a good advice for the future projects!

I need to improve my video editing skills and the "try to match the cuts with the music beats" :D

D.

Thanks Zmotive!

Right now I don't have much time to re-edit the reel but I really appreciate your comment and I keep it as a good advice for the future projects!

I need to improve my video editing skills and the "try to match the cuts with the music beats" :D

D.

The more I look at what people do with their reels the more I realize there is always something to change, so the best tack is to update your reel every 4-6 months (unless you do a ton of work), rather than making lots of small changes after the fact.

As for music, I think you did a pretty good job especially in the beginning. No matter how much editing you do (within a single animation piece or a group of clips), it's hard to "hit every beat". Almost impossible except in those cases where the point of the animation itself, is to hit every beat (i.e. it's designed around the music). I think as long as the "big moments" hit the beat at the right times, that's the main thing. Somestuff is just going to be off-beat musically -- unavoidable pretty much.

Edited by Zmotive

The more I look at what people do with their reels the more I realize there is always something to change, so the best tack is to update your reel every 4-6 months (unless you do a ton of work), rather than making lots of small changes after the fact.

That's an interesting perspective. For me, I take the opposite approach. It feels more important to have a super strong reel rather than make sure it accurately reflects your absolute most recent work. I've definitely gone 4—maybe even 6—months where none of the work I did felt reel worthy.

That's an interesting perspective. For me, I take the opposite approach. It feels more important to have a super strong reel rather than make sure it accurately reflects your absolute most recent work. I've definitely gone 4—maybe even 6—months where none of the work I did felt reel worthy.

That's what I said. 4-6 months. ;) That seems enough time in most cases to have at least one more cool project you want to show, that maybe trumps the least of what's currently on the reel. The larger point is no matter how many tweaks there will always be one more thing that isn't quite perfect about the reel. So get it close and get it out there, then update when you've got something new and awesome to show?

I think that you need to look at a reel at a representation at a point in time of you as an artist. If you are really putting thought behind creating your reel then its all about music selection to represent your work and the feeling of the edit that you want to convey... from there its about the edit of that. The work you have there is solid with out a doubt.. the track is very well known and a slow pace (outside of the glitches) What its comes down to is really some sort of basic story telling... through the motion of the clips, the color, the type of use (ie ad/broadcast/ect) or something that works to either flow with the edit or stand out against it.

4-6 months is way to short a time to re-cut an edit (IMO) unless you are just starting out and getting rid of a ton of old and less quality work.

Yes... your reel will never be perfect, but neither will any individual piece you work on so indeed close it out and move on. But only after you have perfected what you have out there.

A reel is a business card, portfolio, rep, and foot in the door. It is the first and foremost only important aspect of your career. After that it's your personality, work ethic and attention to detail that keep you in the game.

Best of luck

I'm trying to follow Daniel Dociu's advice, where I try to have a completely new reel every two years or so.

I feel like it's pushing me to do more, instead of having half the reel made by stuff that may be cool, but it's 6 years old and doesn't really represent what I can do NOW.