Sign in to follow this  
Pau

Link noise to camera distance

Hi, I would like to create this texture for an object which has a noise pattern in the color and luminance, but I want it to look the same size no matter where the camera is. Is that possible? Noise from too close looks awful, and from too far is not visible, I want its dots to be always the size of 1 pixel.

Thanks,

Pau

Sounds like something better done in compositing unless you have a specific reason to have it in 3D. It would be way easier and more controllable to just render matte objects and apply your noise in post. If that's not an option and you need it in 3D, in the Noise texture you can change the Space tab to Screen (it'll wrap around the object but might behave funny) or Raster (it'll look like it's projected on top).

R

Agree with RVA8. It's not impossible to do in C4D, but depending on what camera you use and how it moves, calculating the texture size could be tricky, since on a spherical camera lens the relation is not linear and no matter what, it could still look iffy. If some simple keyframe animation doesn't do the trick or it can't be done with compositing the noise pattern e..g through a normal pass and an object buffer as matte, it is probably something that will never work as you want it, anyway. Experience teaches that the harder you try something and make it more complicated in the process, the less likely it will give the expected result.

Mylenium