Sign in to follow this  
TommyTronic

Adjust keyframe velocity on camera without messing up position. C4D

I love C4d... Don't get me wrong, but not being able to adjust your keyframe velocity independently is stupid... This, to me, seems to be the biggest flaw in the software I have found as of yet.

Is there an answer to this? I have my camera movements approved by my creative director, I was just instructed (and rightfully so) to make the ease softer into my keyframes. So, I'm trying to do this in the timeline editor with f-curves, but that's messing up my position. Though it's working to create an ease, I do not want to mess up my camera's position though... Please help! This is so frustrating!

Tommy

Your scene is really heavy and slow, 120 fps? I can't even really look at it on my macbook. I would try throwing some stuff on layers and turning them off if you can.. Also try to not to use 'auto-keyframe' or whatever it is, you will end up with keyframes on properties that aren't being animated (i.e. scale on the camera).

Discussing how to achieve better camera moves on a forum maybe be a little difficult, especially with how slow your scene is set up at the moment. The first keyframes I looked at are all linear, when you change them to ease and adjust, make sure you adjust the handles of all of the position and rotation properties at the same time. You can select multiple at once to adjust the handles. Also look into using nulls, again this is a concept that goes a bit beyond being explained on a forum.

Maybe someone else can chime in here, but I think you are going to just need to explore this area of C4D a bit more.

Yeah, It's 120 fps because in the main scene (not this animatic) we're using thinking particles with tracers, and it has to be a high frame rate to get more rounded curves on the tracers. They step at each frame, so the more frames, the more natural the curves on the tracer. We're just rendering every 4 frames and bringing it into after effects at 30 fps... I have already turned off tons of placeholder geometry to get the scene lighter, and it's still not good enough. I think I'll just delete everything except the camera and maybe put some primitives in place of the type... Can't image what else could be making the scene so slow. Could that be the frame rate?... Maybe' I can change it to 30 just to work on the camera and then go back to 120? Would that mess me up?

Also, I don't understand what I could use nulls for, like you said... Care to explain a little about that?

Basically you want C4D to act like AE. I don't know if there is a solution for you...there wasn't one a good one the last time I checked. Search around a bit...you may get what you need out of the motion clip/layer functions.

Look up TimeTrack.

And for your next camera animation project look up

MorphCam, SteadyCAMPRO/SteadyGLIDE as well as xreTIME.

Time Track and MorphCam are native tools, the others are

found at my site, see my sign.

Cheers

Lennart