Sign in to follow this  
TommyTronic

Adjust keyframe velocity on camera without messing up position. C4D

I love C4d... Don't get me wrong, but not being able to adjust your keyframe velocity independently is stupid... This, to me, seems to be the biggest flaw in the software I have found as of yet.

Is there an answer to this? I have my camera movements approved by my creative director, I was just instructed (and rightfully so) to make the ease softer into my keyframes. So, I'm trying to do this in the timeline editor with f-curves, but that's messing up my position. Though it's working to create an ease, I do not want to mess up my camera's position though... Please help! This is so frustrating!

Tommy

Vozzz, try keyframing something like a box across a 3 keyframe arc over like 60 frames and look at it with the animation path on and the animated object selected — if you move the bezier handles at all, the path moves all around around the keyframes. I think what Tommy wants is the ability to slide the distribution of all those "tweened" frames along that path without it actually moving the path in space.

With a Time Track, you can cheat the ease in or out along the path. It's clunky, but it works. And it's why I now actually turn on "Show Vector Track" in the Timeline Preferences — you can apply a Time Track to all three position axes at the same time.

Yeah Vozzz, that's what I've been doing… Works good, still not as much control as in AE, but it'll do… Thanks for the link.

And Willryan, if I had time on this project I would do more research about the time track… Next project for sure though!

Tommy

Have you tried converting the position keyframes to a spline animation? I almost always use splines to animate my cameras cause i find it much more convenient for refining the velocity.

and there is a command "position track to spline" so you can quickly convert your existing position animation to a spline and then use align to spline to animate the camera. ( maybe with a target effector and a rail spline.

( im starting to think, they really should make the acceleration curve editable...)

Thanks for posting the video vozzz — I still get changes in the animation path when I manipulate all three curves at the same time, but it's cool to see it working for someone. I'm not sure what I'm doing different, but it's not locking in like your example.

The other thing that might be worth looking into is the Morph Camera — you can setup multiple cameras and link them together and then animate a master camera transitioning through their positions with a Blend, easing the percentage in and out as you see fit. We used it a ton on Pacific Rim when we had to generate a ton of camera setups in a couple days. Place a couple cameras where you want them, drop 'em into a Camera Morph tag and set a couple keys.

The cool thing about this option is the original cameras are still live and linked to the master camera, so you can adjust 'em quick and easy.