Sign in to follow this  
Basic

Better Animation

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a little guidance in getting better motion in my work. I use predominatly After Effects and have started my journey in C4D (I am a previous Maya user so just transistioning over).

I sometimes feel I fall short when animating due to the motion I produce, it doesnt always look the best, sometimes amateurish. I'll look at a piece of somebody else's and it will be amazing, the motion will be fantastic. I'll then try and recreated the said motion myself but with very poor results. I find it very frustrating.

Having pondered this for sometime I realised I was negelected the Graph editor due to my poor understand of it. I understand its purpose but don't particularly know how to use it.

I did come across this site today and have found it an enormous help to understand interpolation - However I need something better. I need more teaching perhaps. Some articles, video, tutorials, book? I want to learn how but also why.

Could someone please point me in the right direction to a better understanding of this. I know its the foundation to great animation and I am a little lost.

Thanks

Liam :)

The trick is just to make it look safe to ski on. Just practice with it. Its easier to get your head around than you may initially think. Shortcuts are a huge plus. Using that little pan / zoom thing is frustrating.

In cinema: Help -> Show Help is your bible. I still open that thing up at least 2x a week.

watch some bouncing ball tutorials. they usually cover this.

if you haven't, watch some stuff on the 12 principles of animation. ( just google it).

This book does a very good job of covering the principles vozzz noted, and Digital Tutors has 2 or 3 classes focused (in part or in whole) on the principles, as well. My tactic is usually to read something first, then learn-by-watching but I know some Gen Y types don't roll with the "learn by reading" bit. So pick your poison. :)

The trick is just to make it look safe to ski on.

Haha I like this. I'll get practicing.

I did come across the Ease & Wizz script on AE Scripts. I downloaded, installed and got working. It has some really nice presets but I wouldnt want to heavily rely on it.

Good idea vozzz, i have to say going right back to the basic's didnt occur to me. Off I go :)

Cool, I really like the look of that book! I prefer reading, less time in front of a computer. I used Digital Tutors a few months ago.. I need to get back to them also.

Thanks again guys loads to work with here! :D

One of the best tips I've found about the graph editor, that is in no way related to easing or animation, is using alt+z or alt+middle mouse button to scale your graph's dimensions. Shut off that little "Auto zoom to graph height" button. Makes it so much easier to navigate and make sense of your curves.