Sign in to follow this  
theta

How would you do this

I've done this before in the past, but it's always been by hand. I'm wondering if there's another way to do this that would help speed things up.

Basically I want to fill a shape with circles. But I don't want them all on a grid, like you get with the grid Cloner and cutting out the grid with a Volume effector. I want them to be randomized in scale, but have all the circles close together, touching. I've gotten close with using volume and random effectors, but some intersect each other and some areas have huge gaps.

Is there anyway to make cloners and volume effectors non-intersecting?

I don't know why I'd be the one to have an answer to this question, but you could use dynamics. Make your circle, put it in a cloner. Add the random effector for variable size. Then put a rigid body tag on the circle. Then make the shape you want to use as your container and make a transparent material for it. Then put a collision tag on the container. Press play. You'll probably have to fiddle with the number of clones and such once you see how it's working.

Edited by Binky

If you have Adobe Illustrator you can use the script below which fills any shape with random circles based on a couple of inputs. You might be able to import the resulting vector file into C4D (save as AI v8 or earlier) and build what you need from that.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3561765/CircleFill.jsx

Scott! That script is great. Really quick to get the look I'm after, thanks man.

I tried the dynamics method, and it works too, but it's not as quick or good as the script, probably just need more time to tweak stuff...

@thekinginyellow - which color tests are you referring to?