Sign in to follow this  
Sircharles

Should I install Mavericks?

Well what do you think..

Im on a macbook 5.1 model 2010/2011 with 8Gb ram and 2.6Ghz intel core 2 duo

Operating system is 10.6.8 which Im pretty happy with, but I like the idea of the new safari being lightweight.

I don't however like the direction some of the things are going in Apples interfaces such as for mobile and some of what I've noticed in their operating systems as they are advancing.

They seem a bit too clean, and I don't trust them as much now. I believe there are things operating behind the scenes which may slow my computer down.

But I don't know too much about the technical sides of computers

Thanks

Graham

( i dont use a mac)

but from what i heard, the space bar preview of videos no longer works. everytime you try to preview a video it first converts it, and only then plays it.

it was one of the few features i liked on the mac os.

Yes I heard about that preview conversion thing - I think it's for quicktime h264's though.

It's for any codec that isn't in the AV Foundation platform (the thing that Apple is replacing QuickTime with). So, for example, Animation codec.

I'm using in both computers i use (6 core at work and Imac 2011 at home) and there's no major problem, on the first week the adobe programs were not working but now is easy to get the patch for the packages earlier than cs 6 and the CC is already fixed too, some programs made for older OS doesn't work anymore like the Soulseek for mac but i did't use that thing in years anyways.

The Quickview issue sucks but the new tagging system is great to sort assets.

Tab for Finder is also nice.

Some people say it made their Macs much faster but I guess this depends on the machine.

I couldn't really tell.

Are there any benefits - does it run faster?

Or are there things in the new Os that make upgrading worth while?

Contrary to Rolin's point, this is the first upgrade where I can say certain things are actually slower than before. QuickLook Previews (already mentioned) are slower for large images, QuickTime movies sometimes require this stupid "conversion" process that forces you to wait and extra minute to open the view (no conversion was necessary before), and when browsing folders of large raw images in Finder, the list of files can take several seconds to show up. Also there seem to be more processes asking for my permission to connect to the internet, even though I use my old settings from the prior OS -- so Apple has changed one or more of its connectivity protocols (seems like). Worst of all it's not user friendly. Many of these processes have completely inscrutable names and I have no clue which application they belong to, what they do, or if I should allow a connection or not. Sadly, it's a very Windows XP-like implementation for this one protocol.

There are certain new features i like, like tabbed Finder, but ironically my habits are so ingrained I never use it. So on balance if you've got 10.8.6 or whatever and everything is rock solid, stick with that unless you really want the new Finder features (tabs and tags basically). The other new features amount to window dressing IMO.

Edited by Zmotive

With the recent 10.9.2 update a number of the responsiveness problems seem to be solved for people, including me (but I may not count because I just got a new Mac). QuickLook is now back / much better than before and the Finder previews no longer lag, for one thing. So at this point I can recommend it ISFA the problems that most annoyed me are gone.

cursor drag is an r15 issue i think. coz i got that problem on windows too. and so do a few others. apparantly its because cinema got better at using ALL of the CPU. which is good coz you get faster renders, but bad coz you cant really use the rest of your system.

solution is to reduce the number of cpu threads used. This will ofcourse slow down your render, but will free up the rest of your computer for normal use.

one more question from me, regards operating systems.

Should I upgrade to OsX mountain Lion 10.8.5 coming from 10.6.8?

Is there a benefit, and in general is there benefit in doing a new install of your operating system after a few years?

Thanks

Should I upgrade to OsX mountain Lion 10.8.5 coming from 10.6.8?

Is there a benefit, and in general is there benefit in doing a new install of your operating system after a few years?

Apple's upgrade (versus fresh installation) mechanism has somewhat frequent problems with setting permissions incorrectly, which is why I recommend do a fresh installation of a new operating system. It takes more time up front, but it prevents some headaches later.

Regarding whether you should go to Mac OSX v10.8.5 from v10.6.8: Yes, especially if you want to run current Adobe software and/or use the GPU. Apple made significant improvements in GPU code in v10.8.5.

Thanks for reply Todd, I guessed there would be some benefits alright. So I downloaded 10.8.5 off apples site.

Its been a while since I have done an operating installation, only ever had to do it on my old pcs.

Do I lose any info if I do this installation?

Cheers, Graham