Sign in to follow this  
simonfarussell

Vimeo removing videos with licensed music

Man this sucks I wonder if they are going to start taking down reels too.

Hopefully someone can straighten this out, especially for music videos I would think that if you have a clause in your contract saying you have the right to use the video for marketing purposes that is effectively a license to use the track.

Damn, that's unsettling. It looked to me like a lot of the tweets were about music videos for Columbia Records-represented artists. Could be just one exec over there has a hard-on for IP-trolling? Seriously though - how does taking down music videos (legit or not) help anything? What's being gained (or, on the flip side, lost, for that matter)? Ultimately it's just further evidence that we really haven't figured out this whole internet thing, and we're a long way from figuring out IP.

But if I end up having to cut a reel to some piece of stock music I'm going to be so pissed...

It just shows you how incredibly stupid the music industry et al are. There is already no money in directing music videos anymore, directors and prodcos only do them (in most cases or at least in my experience) for the fun and to have a good promotional piece for themselves….and now they want to take that away from the directors.

So the net result is less people will see the video, and less and less talented peeps will be willing to make music videos.

What I also don't get is if MTV is all reality shows now, and you can't post music videos on vimeo or youtube…then where exactly do they expect people to see these videos, only on the musicians official webpage, just seems like having people post and share these videos is the essence of how people market music now, seems like record industry is just shooting itself in the head yet again.

Even the best video doesn't help when your songs don't get played on the radio/ streaming/ sold on iTunes because that's where the real money is made and that's all "the industry" cares about....

Mylenium

Even the best video doesn't help when your songs don't get played on the radio/ streaming/ sold on iTunes because that's where the real money is made and that's all "the industry" cares about....

Mylenium

From what I understand, nowadays labels only care about selling concert seats. The iTunes factor is now a pittance to a sold out Tour where the artist gets to do all the heavy lifting while the label kicks back.

May depend on local specifics or general preference by the consumers. Just read that here in Germany CD sales actually rose last year... While surely they are far from the crazy amounts of money they made in the 1990s, the music industry is still reasonably healthy here. And since we have a public radio system with monthly fees, even limited airplay is guaranteed to make you a predictable amount of money. You may just not get filthy rich over it. Also as I understand it, that thing with tours and concerts has other reasons like the bands not getting enough of a cut from the money and the record companies sitting on their treasure and not reinvesting into promoting young artists. It's more driven by the artists thmeselves than any labels or concert agencies...

Mylenium

"You may just not get filthy rich over it"

I think the internet is going to keep bring this point back.

Its gonna let more people do what they enjoy, its just gonna be more and more difficult to become filthy rich. which in the end isn't really a bad thing i think...

Not a bad thing unless you're already filthy rich and looking to stay that way! :D

Unfortunately those are the people that hold most of the power currently. Old people who made a fortune on an old business model that is slipping away – unwilling or unable to change with the times.

I can't tell you the number of artists i've gotten into (and legally bought their albums) due to hearing a track on a showreel or someones personal project on vimeo.

I have to applaud Vimeo for this. As a recording artist myself I am sensitive to this issue.

It is like someone steeling from your reel.

How would you guys like it if others simply took your demo reel and called it their own? And not only that, started making money because of the content of the reel.

Music is an important part of a demo reel and should not be "ripped-off" because of a lack of imagination.

There are open sources for music and with the plethora of music generation apps on mobile devices there is no real reason why the music on your reel shouldn't be your own.

I have to applaud Vimeo for this. As a recording artist myself I am sensitive to this issue.

How would you guys like it if others simply took your demo reel and called it their own? And not only that, started making money because of the content of the reel.

Music is an important part of a demo reel and should not be "ripped-off" because of a lack of imagination.

There are open sources for music and with the plethora of music generation apps on mobile devices there is no real reason why the music on your reel shouldn't be your own.

Yeah....I don't think you were paying attention. This wasn't people ripping off music and turning a profit... It was the creators of the music videos posting said work to Vimeo, and judging by their surprise, weren't contractually prohibited from doing so.

I think it's still kind of relevant. I mean, most people here probably use third party music for the reels without licensing it.

When I use someones music I always state who it's by and have a link back to their website.

I never claim it's my own music.

I have dabbled in music but I'm really not that good, making good music takes dedication and I can only do one career at a time!

I don't mind if people post my work on their sites as long as they credit it.

No one who is a professional in this industry is gonna think you made the track in your reel unless you go out of your way to say you did. Also no one is going to pay thousands of dollars to license a track for a reel, and deal with the headaches and lawyers except for maybe the biggest studios.

A reel is such a niche product for such a niche audience, a reel in 99% of cases is for people who already know what's up. Everyone's got better things to do than worry about what track is being used in a reel.

I suppose in some tangential way we are making money off the track but seriously we are being hired based of the visual content of the reel to produce more visual content….in the real world it's only in the most abstract of ways that let's say Radiohead is losing out because I used their track in my reel to get a freelance motion design gig.

NFS is saying automatic filtering is now starting and does affect reels and temp music in rough cuts. Private videos are filtered as well. They say only newly uploaded videos and not ones that are currently online are affected but we'll see if that changes.

http://nofilmschool.com/2014/05/upload-vimeo-copyright-match-audible-magic/#more-82340

Official Vimeo link from their blog keeps on embedding as a video in this post for some reason, there's a link in the NFS article.

Edited by superegophobia

I have been seeing a lot of vimeo ads on TV lately, inviting everyone to share their home videos via vimeo with no intrusive ads. It seems the good days of vimeo are over.

Did anyone else see that article about Sony Pictures issuing a DMCA complaint against the open-source Blender film Sintel? They took it offline instantly without query, only to reinstate it hours later citing an internal mistake. If you wonder why it's free, look at who is putting the cash in.

I've always had reservations about Vimeo being the norm for hosting in the industry. All too often I find playback drops, or stutters on fullscreen. You can't scrub through frame by frame. Wipster is not the replacement (saying so just clutters up this board with marketing schtick). Self hosting via Amazon AWS is something I have done in the past but Player/Browser compatibility is something I haven't looked into for a while. With H265 etc on the horizon, I can't imagine we wont see viable alternatives.