Sign in to follow this  
rollowenlock

Future of Video at SXSW

Very good post!

The takeaway for me is that still the future is unknown and the need to adapt to whatever is out there. Not any easier than it is now. Unless what you do is purely hand lettering, you will be reliant on tools to some degree as a motion design and production studio if you do any 3D or shooting in your workflow.

The Maxon guy might have been sardonic, I couldn't tell if he was being cynical, kidding, or with a certain twist of truth.

Some of the interviewees were saying the future is going to be easier. Use a tablet to cut 6k Red Dragon footage, etc.

But then Justin Cone put it wisely to say, it's just going to be more competitive trying to tell good stories (and under client deadlines). It's part exciting, part clusterfuck.

IMHO it's going to get easier and harder simultaneously for the filmmaker types. Trying to stand out in a sea of films that are boring the fuck out of audiences who have already seen it all.

It's going to take more thinking, more concept, more story, more favors from friends. i.e. The rich buddy with a view of the river at night from their living room, etc. Make sure you kiss their ass, you'll need that advantage to stand out from the sea of crap shot in LA apartments.

The future is hard work. That's all I take away from all of it. :)

Sure thing Vozzz, you'll need that power for the coming wave of 4K deliveries.

And then after that, brands will start selling 8K in the next 10 years. They'll be marketing the 8k as the Cinema quality that you must have. In 8K you'll literally be rotoing hair strands. It'll be perfect for production workflows. Plus home theater systems will be better quality and within affordable range by then.

Trying not to be too sarcastic here, just poking fun at how clients will mock the process with all that faster, more “procedural” stuff.

You left out one key word Vozzz: *bigger*. How big is this shit gonna get in 10 years? 10k? :D

if the hardware can handle 10k, then who cares? Who still roto's their own stuff? isn't that what interns are for?

but i mean i was doing a photoshoot recently, and a lot of the time i was waiting for others to fix stuff on set, discuss changes and so on, while i was just sitting around looking at my phone. If i had a surface pro, i could pick and edit the photos just on my lap and then i wouldn't have any work to do when i got home.

Or alternatively i can edit stuff while things are being filmed on set. And if something isn't working i can just do another take.

And i like all the procedural stuff, that's where i think most of my money comes from. I build procedural c4d set ups for my clients and then they can tweak stuff with the end clients live.

Nothing is gonna get easier and faster - cause increasing resolution, bit depht, layer / effect / poly-count etc. will eat up faster hardware like it always did...

Also, hopefully screen resolution will go the same way proc clock speeds and DSLR mega pixels went. The arms race will stop being about how BIG can we make it, and start to be about how WELL we can make it. instead of 47k cameras, why not try to make a sensor that has over 20 stops of dynamic range? Or wider color range? Or better encoding algorithms? or so on and so on.

From what Ive read about Rec 2020 thats the way things are starting go.

A little primer for those interested: http://nofilmschool.com/2013/07/4k-uhd-color-space-gamut-frame-rate/

Tangentially, does anyone else find it strange that 1080p hasn't even FULLY proliferated the market (how many jobs are we doing where we still have to protect for 4:3?) and a new format is already starting to roll out? SD was around for 50 years. VHS was the delivery mechanism for a decent chunk of that time. DVD's had about 10 years. BluRay has had what? 5 years? Maybe I'm old and crotchety but the madness needs to stop.

edit: sorry for hijacking the thread, go about your business.

Edited by ianfreeze

i dunno. i can do stuff now much faster and easier than i did stuff 10 years ago.

the most simple example i can bring up is the render preview in cinema4D. I remember when that option was just not there. if you render an animation, you have to go and open it another app. You can just hit render and watch it in your picture viewer. You could only see the last frame there.

more complex example is dynamics. You remember the dynamic system before bullet? it would choke on simulating 10 bowling pins.

I really dont think the resolution is a big issue. the percent of people who actually care that its over 1080p is miniscule. Just dont work with them. they clearly don't care about story, just about resolution...

Sure thing Vozzz, you'll need that power for the coming wave of 4K deliveries.

And then after that, brands will start selling 8K in the next 10 years. They'll be marketing the 8k as the Cinema quality that you must have. In 8K you'll literally be rotoing hair strands. It'll be perfect for production workflows. Plus home theater systems will be better quality and within affordable range by then.

Trying not to be too sarcastic here, just poking fun at how clients will mock the process with all that faster, more “procedural” stuff.

You left out one key word Vozzz: *bigger*. How big is this shit gonna get in 10 years? 10k? :D

I liked talking to Patrick Ortman, he had quite a different perspective from the rest: https://vimeo.com/89214307

Also, hopefully screen resolution will go the same way proc clock speeds and DSLR mega pixels went. The arms race will stop being about how BIG can we make it, and start to be about how WELL we can make it. instead of 47k cameras, why not try to make a sensor that has over 20 stops of dynamic range? Or wider color range? Or better encoding algorithms? or so on and so on.

A little primer for those interested: http://nofilmschool.com/2013/07/4k-uhd-color-space-gamut-frame-rate/

Tangentially, does anyone else find it strange that 1080p hasn't even FULLY proliferated the market (how many jobs are we doing where we still have to protect for 4:3?) and a new format is already starting to roll out? SD was around for 50 years. VHS was the delivery mechanism for a decent chunk of that time. DVD's had about 10 years. BluRay has had what? 5 years? Maybe I'm old and crotchety but the madness needs to stop.

edit: sorry for hijacking the thread, go about your business.

I agree, until we can consistently deliver work in HD anywhere, and not have to protect 'screen safe' and all that old school stuff, lets not touch 4K...

My thoughts are video is going to get lower quality technically, and higher quality creatively. As video becomes more and more productised, and clients want to pay fixed fees, we'll see compressed video, pixelation, all that stuff you get when 'getting it done fast', but with that gung-ho approach, i think we'll see more creativity. The technology will disappear.

Good stuff so far. I can attest that Mathias from Maxon is a genuine guy. Having spent time with him here in DC, and for a while at NAB, he's pretty sincere about this stuff.

He's a pretty straight up dude. I think his comment was flavoured with a little sarcasm...

Hot damn

A little primer for those interested: http://nofilmschool....mut-frame-rate/

This is awesome. Had no idea this was coming down the pipe.

I still don't think this is going to mean squat for the average consumer who's TV isn't calibrated at all, and where bandwith limits are still going to mean people compress the crap out of everything but for the kind of work we do this would be great.