Sign in to follow this  
Todd Kopriva

what's coming in the next major update to After Effects

It basically eliminates the need to add an Adjustment Layer and track matte to isolate an effect in a specific area of a layer. It lets you link any effect to any mask on the layer, as well as pull down the opacity of each effect.

So is the Effect Mask the solution to the thing we've talking about that acted like a Precomp effect so you didn't have to precomp simple layers?

No, that's a different thing (though it does happen to rely on some related underlying work). That is something that we hope to do soon.

The effect mask feature makes restricting an effect to the region in a mask much easier and tidier. In the past, you'd do something like have an effect on an adjustment layer, with a mask on that adjustment layer; and you'd have to have a separate adjustment layer for every different effect that was constrained by a different mask. This allows you to have it all in one layer. See the screenshot in the post that I linked to for a simple example.

Sort of off-topic, but what was the take-away from that poll you posted back in the beginning of the year? The one about spending this year making AE faster vs. developing new features.

BTW, as someone who spends a lot of time setting up lower third templates for editors, the 'editable text templates in premiere' thing sounds awesome!

Sort of off-topic, but what was the take-away from that poll you posted back in the beginning of the year? The one about spending this year making AE faster vs. developing new features.

We got a resounding "Do it!" out of that.

We were in the middle of some big things when we did that poll, so we needed to finish them off. We've already put a large fraction of our team on performance improvements, and we'll be putting more folks on performance when this next update is out.

This is a fantastic time and complexity saver. My grumpy side says "why wasn't this available 5 versions ago, it could have saved me weeks of my life!"

I always thought it would be good if all effects could have a compositing option (but I guess I never suggested it officially, so I can't complain).

I don't see blending mode options - can we only do transparency? The ability to use add mode for blurry glows would be an obvious use.

We were in the middle of some big things when we did that poll, so we needed to finish them off. We've already put a large fraction of our team on performance improvements, and we'll be putting more folks on performance when this next update is out.

Any idea of when or if any CC components are really going to harness the dual GPU power of the new MacPros? I am going to have to pull the trigger on one soon (mainly because my existing machine is getting so old). It would make the decision a bit easier if I knew all that processing power wasn't going to sit idle for several years.

Al Mooney explicitly says that dual GPUs (including in new Mac Pro computers) are already used by Premiere Pro:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2014/01/newgpusincc.html

Thats nice, though I tend to do final exports from AE. Some boost to RAM preview speeds in AE would probably be the thing that makes the most difference in everyday work, even if only a draft 3D version for fine tuning animation.

What is this 'the thing we've talking about that acted like a Precomp effect so you didn't have to precomp simple layers' ?

Is that so you could use a layer with fractal noise applied as a displacement map (for example) without having to precompose the layer with the noise? Sometimes all the pre-composing you have to do is a PITA.

Will the improved expression evaluation thing make a noticeable difference to a comp heavy with expressions that are not time related? Or is it only really for valueAtTime() type stuff?

If you could get text templates to work in Avid, some of my clients would be very happy. Although arguably my invoices would shrink.

I'm very glad to be reading this... because nothing in this new release is related to performance or real-time motion graphics workflow. Was a little nervous there maybe the message had been lost. ;- ) Will these performance improvements largely be a part of the new "CC interim release" scheduling that we saw last year for the first time?

I understand Premiere Pro is going to get some Dual GPU / OpenCL love, but please tell me that the same plan exists for After Effects, because frankly AE needs it more IMO. Whether it's a "remade RAM Preview" system or a new "GPU / VRAM Preview system" that leverages the power of those D700s and their 12GB of combined memory, is less important to me than the ability itself... to rapidly preview all the different plugin effects we use (Particular, Form, Plexus, etc) and quickly make iterative changes to the look and motion of things. Every minute spent waiting for something to preview / regenerate, is a minute not spent creating, not perfecting the look of something.

Hopefully we won't arrive at a situation where you guys make changes and then to take advantage, everyone else has to make changes too / update their plugins. I mean Red Giant is doing it but generally I hope AE can lead the charge and make immediate impacts in this area. It shouldn't be that a computer this powerful still can't real-time preview something as simple as a solid with some particle effects at 30 FPS... it's not on Apple given the speed of the internal storage, the number of processors, the amount of RAM, the GPUs. The resources are there. Time for Adobe to go to town with this stuff and create something awesome to match... :)

Edited by Zmotive

Happy to see the UI for the curves effect is being given a polish. I use that one effect more than all the other effects combined.

After the speed improvements, my wish would be for the most commonly used parts of AE to be given a similar update. Much of AE still has a 1990s retro feel to it...and not in a good way.

Happy to see the UI for the curves effect is being given a polish. I use that one effect more than all the other effects combined.

The real question is, will the curve editor window scale with the effect panel window? I hate that you're locked in that little window when you're trying to edit curves in detail.

effects masks - sounds handy!

what about selecting a matte layer instead?

could help us avoid needing multiple matte layers by doing so...

(yes i submitted a feature request a while ago =)

Edited by Encity

effects masks - sounds handy!

what about selecting a matte layer instead?

could help us avoid needing multiple matte layers by doing so...

(yes i submitted a feature request a while ago =)

I second this far beyond many other features. I use so many matte layers in a lot of projects it becomes ridiculous. Sometimes precomping is not an option. Being able to select the same matte source for multiple layers would be absolutely wonderful.

-Spunj

I second this far beyond many other features. I use so many matte layers in a lot of projects it becomes ridiculous. Sometimes precomping is not an option. Being able to select the same matte source for multiple layers would be absolutely wonderful.

-Spunj

That seems like it would be a very logical addition =)))

-Spunj

There is Channel -> Set Matte as an option, but you can't have transforms on your matte (if you do, you have to PreComp). Not always the best solution, but if you're using the same matte for a ton of layers it beats a billion layers of track mattes.

There is Channel -> Set Matte as an option, but you can't have transforms on your matte (if you do, you have to PreComp). Not always the best solution, but if you're using the same matte for a ton of layers it beats a billion layers of track mattes.

THAT IS NICE!